Installed 9.1 last night, with no problems encountered

Relic2K

9.1 final is definately very solid, I was expecting K-Mail (Trash Folder) to work again. Looks like they changed K-Mail, so that when you delete emails, then don't go directly into the Trash folder anymore. You have to drag and drop the emails into the trash folder now. I was also hoping to be able to import my exported address (K-Mail) books, but this is still a nightmare and I end up having to re-add everyone manually. Other that than that small complaint, I have not had any other problems with it, so far.

I am going to install tomorrow, hopefully it goes as well as it did with you.

I don't use kde or any k apps, so perhaps I will get away trouble free!

So far this time, even DVD (Xine) is working this time, audio is a little glitchy, but all speakers are working this time using Alsamixer GUI on CD 3. All my Hardware is workiing fantastic. The only problems that I have seen so far are the ones with KMail, and not being able to copy and paste a URL into Mozilla, and the Trash can problems. If I could find another email program that does PGP I would switch.

Oh great. The kfmclient thing came back today. I am concerned that I seem to have problems popping up after everything seems to be installed and running smoothly.

Here is what I did in my Journey to 9.1.

1. Boot from CD, and it freezes when accessing the CD (this happened with 9.0 as well). I remember that my DMA has to disabled for my CDROM, so I reboot and pass ide=nodma to the kernel.

2. I was very impressed with the layout and design of the install program. Go Mandrake :-)!

3. I tried to do an upgrade. It said that it was going to take over 3 hours to install! The only way to get out was to reboot, as canceling doesn't allow you to exit the install.

4. I ran a regular install. I reformatted my / as ReiserFS (wanted to try something different), and left my /home as ext3. Install was great, it detected everything properly, and installed in ~35 min.

5. After the configuration step, X froze. I'm not sure if it's because it was trying to get on the internet to check for updates (the system wasn't connected). I could switch vt's and that was it. I did a reboot again, and took out the CD.

6. Mandrake 9.1 booted like normal!

Here are the few niggling problems I'm having.

I click on Home in the kicker, and I get a blank Konsole window. Desktop icons work fine. I was having similar problems with texstar's kde rpm's under 9.0, but I hoped that my reformat would fix them.

I installed Quake 3. It loads properly, but only mouse clicks, and not movements, are passed to the program. It doesn't appear to be a mouse sensitivity problem.

Otherwise, I'm very impressed with this release, especially the Control Center and Galaxy theme. Props to the Mandrake team!

Andrew

Downloaded the Images from

ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrake-iso/

Burned them and then did a completed fresh install, manually adding every package. I also switched this time from XFS to Journalized FS. So I could use RSYNC this time, and be able to read the images on the partitions. Installed Video drivers, hardened the OS.

A fairly painless install, give and take some glitches in the installer with my mouse.

Everything looks good, everyone is bitchin' about kde, I don't use it, so I don't care (one day we will all use fluxbox).

Some compile problems still, but other then that it looks good.

Oh, and the new Mandrake Control Centre looks SWEEEEEET.