Kernel Update Question

kmack

First, I'd rather install 9.1 but at my download speed (<1Kbs today) that won't happen. I will have to scrounge up a copy of the CD's when I am able.

So, if I want to update the kernel per latest MD Security info it indicates you can use urpmi method and give a link to the webpage. I have read that and a couple relevant posts here. Before I try this later when connect speed is a bit better, I want to get some confirmation if anyone knows...

From Mdksecure:

Read the advisory so you know what kernel version to install; for instance if the filename is kernel-2.4.19.24mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm you will want to execute:

# urpmi kernel-2.4.19.24mdk

This will install the new kernel alongside any old kernels that are currently on your system. Next, edit the /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/menu.list file (depending upon your bootloader). Ensure that you will be able to boot your old kernel by making sure a stanza exists for it specifically. If this is your first kernel update on the system, you likely will have two stanzas that point to symlinks; the kernel installer always updates these to point to the latest vmlinuz and initrd.img files. Usually a copy and paste of the new kernel stanza and modifying the kernel number is all you will need. For instance, if the new kernel is 2.4.19-24mdk and the release kernel is 2.4.19-16mdk, copy the - 24mdk stanza and replace -24mdk with -16mdk.

Once you have modified your lilo.conf or menu.lst file, execute "lilo -v" or "sh /boot/ grub/install.sh", again depending upon your bootloader. Now you can reboot into the new kernel.

QUESTION: Has anyone tried this method? If so, I am assuming that one of the two (or more) vmlinuz lettings must need to be set with the OLD kernel and the default/boot vmlinuz would be edited per above instructions and use a pointer to the NEW kernel that has been installed. Is that correct? That would allow one to choose which kernel at bootup as I understand this.

Sounds like an easy setup, but hate to "hose my system" as some have indicated might happen. :roll: TIA!

I did just this thing. I first downloaded all kernal update rpms I needed (there was 1 or 2 that were not required for my desktop). I then dropped from a gui to command line and moved to the directory I stored the rpms. from there, it was a simple urpmi command to an updated kernal.

The plus side for me was I now had a working supermount!

:D

Thanks Irsach01 ! That sounds very simple.

Just to be clear, are you saying you didn't even have to edit the vmlinux or initrd.img files at all?

That means urpmi did everything for you?

If so, very slick indeed! :)

You must edit that file if you want the option to boot into either kernel.

urpmi kernel xxxx will over write the default entry, be safe, edit the file and add a new stanza ( kernel boot entry).

Thanks Anon! That sounds like the safest route!

It will take me some time to download the kernel files as my ISP is overloaded and bandwidth stinks for last few days. I am all the way up to 3.5KBps on a 64KB so-called "cable" internet connection. :roll:

At least every now and then if I get up at 0300 or so I can hit 80Kbps and that seems mega-fast! :lol:

For the record...the ML 9.0 kernel update was slick and easy per MdkSec instructions and advice above. 8)

I felt a bit nervous editing the lilo.cfg and hope I did it properly, but after I rebooted it runs fine and is using the new kernel! (2.4.19-32mdk that is...) Seems like everything I normally use is working fine too!

Even a new convert can do this kernel stuff with the help of you guys! I really appreciate the advice and input from everyone! :D

I felt a bit nervous editing the lilo.cfg and hope I did it properly, but after I rebooted it runs fine and is using the new kernel! (2.4.19-32mdk that is...)

Next time, instead of taking such risks you can test your lilo.conf file running /sbin/lilo with the "-t" flag, and if the test goes OK, then run it w/o it to install the boot loader.

Thanks Aru!

That is really great advice and I will be sure and use it next time around! I knew you could do that, but didn't think to test it before running it. Sometimes being anxious and nervous makes for mistakes, eh? :wink:

BTW, the kernel upgrade process saved the old lilo.cfg as lilo.cfg.old so I guess if one had a problem you could use Knoppix or Tom's CD and boot, go to root and go back to the old kernel.