Search for a new distro

ianw1974

Yeah, it was 0.7.2, although the same happened once with 0.7.1 I think.

Front is up 75%.

So you do get a mixer? That's a good start.

You say you have a laptop, what specs?

When the module loads, it tries to detect what configuration you have, this doesnt always work. You can force a configuration, by loading the module with a model= option. To test them, just rmmod snd-hda-intel, and then modprobe snd-hda-intel model=xyz

This link is from the 2.6.19 kernel docs: http://iphitus.loudas.com/arch/snd-hda-intel.txt

Arch: I know the problem you had with the older installers for Arch, the test 0.8 one will work a lot better. We've made some big kernel level changes since 0.7... which is why you have those problems. 0.8 is correctly configured to setup everything.

James

i have two friends who ordered a dell d820 with an ipw3945 and the intel core duo processors. one friend put fc5/6 on his and another put whatever teh current suse version is. suse worked out of the box. both fc's have yet to work.

good luck on this. as far as performance i really like the ipw cards and so want to know about which distro works well with it. i know that kubuntu worked out of the box for my ipw2100.

i have two friends who ordered a dell d820 with an ipw3945 and the intel core duo processors. one friend put fc5/6 on his and another put whatever teh current suse version is. suse worked out of the box. both fc's have yet to work.

good luck on this. as far as performance i really like the ipw cards and so want to know about which distro works well with it. i know that kubuntu worked out of the box for my ipw2100.

ipw3945 is fairly new, and it's license is far less restrictive than the ipw2x00 license, so give it a few months and every distro should support it out of the box in their current/next release.

James

The laptop is a Toshiba Tecra A8.

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.66GHz

1.5GB RAM

80GB HDD

Intel HDA Audio

Intel IPW3945 Wireless card

there's other features as well, such as SD card, bluetooth, etc, etc. I'm not using bluetooth, so dunno if this works as no way to test, but everything else worked fine, except the sound. I was going to bring some headphones today, as I read somewhere that the headphone socket will work, just not the speakers.

• 2 weeks later...
Arch: I know the problem you had with the older installers for Arch, the test 0.8 one will work a lot better. We've made some big kernel level changes since 0.7... which is why you have those problems. 0.8 is correctly configured to setup everything.

James

iph,

Just out of interest, I've been to the archlinux website, but it still says 0.8 is pending. Do you know when it's due for stable release?

James

iph,

Just out of interest, I've been to the archlinux website, but it still says 0.8 is pending. Do you know when it's due for stable release?

As Arctic said, releases don't mean sweet bugger all in Arch. It's just a snapshot of the repo's at one point in time.

Between now and 0.8, there's still a few big changes (pacman3, updated network scripts), but nothing that should break anything like mkinitcpio did.

There's 0.8 pre release ISO's here: ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/other/0.8 give those a shot.

James