A problem with running Avast GUI

zibi1981

They say Linux is safe and doesn't need antivirus. Maybe. But when avast is giving a free licence for it's Linux Home Edition antivirus software, why not to try it? Never enough security. So I downloaded it and registered for a free code. Installation proceeded without problems, but they did appear after.

When I'm running avast from CL, it automatically scans my hdd and everything seems to be O.K. But when I'm trying to run it in a GUI mode, I usually got this

[zibi1981@localhost ~]$ avastgui

(process:6374): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib

(process:6374): Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers

sometimes this

(process:6118): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib

(process:6118): Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers

** (avastgui:6118): WARNING **: Cannot load font for XLFD '-urw-helvetica-medium-r-normal--1-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-13

** (avastgui:6118): WARNING **: Cannot load font for XLFD '-urw-helvetica-bold-r-normal--1-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-13

and always this (see attached thumbnails)

How to resolve this?

post-17728-1170589296_thumb.jpg

Edited by zibi1981

Please try (under a root console)

urpmi urw-fonts

I have seen the package at the Cooker repos, but I believe it's also available for 2007.0 (probably as -noarch package).

Other than that, an antivirus is useful only if your Linux puter shares files with windoze clients at the LAN... else it's an oddity.

I'll surely make use of Your suggestion, as soon as I will be back home. At the moment I'm away, so have to use Windows :dry:

When it comes to using antivirus on Linux...well, I think it's a matter of personal choice. As I said before, never enough security (to me) ;) . Besides I have Windows XP on the same computer, so better to be double secured :P

I'm back home for the weekend, so now I can make use of some suggestions :D

It seems, that I already have these fonts installed on my system

[root@localhost zibi1981]# rpm -qa | grep urw-fonts
urw-fonts-2.0-16.1mdk

and I'm still getting this strange error when trying to start avastgui

[root@localhost zibi1981]# avastgui

(process:6199): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib

(process:6199): Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers

** (avastgui:6199): WARNING **: Cannot load font for XLFD '-urw-helvetica-medium-r-normal--1-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-13

** (avastgui:6199): WARNING **: Cannot load font for XLFD '-urw-helvetica-bold-r-normal--1-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-13

There's another problem. When I start XGL I'm getting the same problem as with avastgui - no fonts at all. Maybe I'm missing another package containing some other fonts??? :unsure:

EDIT

Still no one hasn't got any idea how to solve this?

Edited by zibi1981

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I did resolve this problem eventually by installing "helvetica fonts", but now i did something, don't know what, and the problem is backa. I still get the same error

[root@localhost Avast]# avastgui

(process:16111): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib

(process:16111): Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers

Maybe anyone will find a solution, or just figure out what I have done to mess things back...

It seems that you must first install a glibc locale at your system. You probably have just Polish UTF-8 locales, and not en-US.UTF8, which should work with Avast right out of the box.

Since I've not used Mandriva for ages, I can't recall the "easy way" to create glibc locales, but I'm sure someone else will respond.

Open a root console, and type in

locale -a

What's the output?

Hmm, it's always a hint. I'll try to find out something about creating glibc locales...

Here's the output You requested

[zibi1981@localhost ~]$ locale -a
C
CP1251
ISO-8859-1
ISO-8859-10
ISO-8859-13
ISO-8859-14
ISO-8859-15
ISO-8859-2
ISO-8859-3
ISO-8859-4
ISO-8859-5
ISO-8859-7
ISO-8859-9
KOI8-R
KOI8-U
pl
pl_PL
pl_PL.ISO-8859-2
pl_PL.UTF-8
polish
POSIX
UTF-8

So it seems I'll have to wait... It's very strange to me because I've already solved this problem by installing helvetica fonts, and now something went wrong and the fonts in Avast are gone. But not only there. I also don't have any fonts when I switch to 3D desktop. It looks very similar.