WG111T Netgear USB Wifi

Guest byder

Hey Everyone! I am new to Linux and new to the forums, so I hope I am not asking a totally noob question :P

Has anyone successfully got a WG111T Netgear USB Wifi adapter to work under Mandrake 2006? I kinda have an old version, which is working well for me at the mo :)

If you have, could you give me a run down on how? Drivers (Where to get them?) Installation, Setup etc!

Thanks a lot

C

I've got that one. You have to use ndiswrapper, as HardDrake seems to recognise it as a scanner, but I used ndiswrapper and it worked fine, so:

urpmi ndiswrapper

then google for ndiswrapper, find their wiki and follow the instructions here. They also have a link for drivers, so you can download the correct ones. I downloaded the version 1.2 drivers, even though my adapter is 1.3. And then follow the install guide from ndiswrapper as I mentioned before.

Some Mandriva specific stuff, add the following to /etc/modprobe.preload:

ndiswrapper

this will load the module at boot, and ensure that your card works from booting.

Ok, so heres why I am such a noob! Sorry for the stupid questions! I am honestly gonna need a step by step guide to get my thru this first time. I think most people assume alot, when a novie to linux!

Ok, you say!

Code: Urmpi ndiswrapper, now Ok! I get that, but what does it all mean! Lol. Where do I type this? Do I just go to the Tar Ball folder in my KDE and type it? I dunno? Do you go to the konsole?

Ok, so!

The installation guide says 'Go to the source-directory and run 'make distclean' and 'make'.'

1) Where is the source directory? What addy, is it in the console at '//'? Coz that seems to me like the root?!

2) What does that do, so I know for future refrence!

then it goes on to say 'As root, run 'make install'.' Ok again the above questions apply!

1) Where do I type this? Is this an app that I am not aware of?

2) Should I type it in the Konsole, or whilst simply browsing the folder again?

3) What should I expect to see on screen?

Ok, I know these are dumb questions, but could you sorta give me a helping hand to get this sorted. I can see this one install leading the way to helping me install something simple like the Thunderbird install which looks like it needs something similar!

Shot for your help ianw1974!

C

EDIT: Just found a post on the forums to give me this info using the #lsmod command! Now that was in the console! Yay! My first succesful shell bashing! Dunno if its helpfull ;)

------------------------------

Module				  Size  Used by
nls_iso8859_15		  4224  1
nls_cp850			   4480  1
vfat				   10592  1
fat					45980  1 vfat
sd_mod				 16240  2
usb_storage			82020  1
scsi_mod			  121064  2 sd_mod,usb_storage
nfsd				  216736  9
exportfs				4608  1 nfsd
lockd				  58536  2 nfsd
nfs_acl				 2752  1 nfsd
sunrpc				128004  13 nfsd,lockd,nfs_acl
raw					 6592  1
md5					 3584  1
ipv6				  234016  10
snd_seq_dummy		   2532  0
snd_seq_oss			31136  0
snd_seq_midi_event	  5696  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq				46960  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_pcm_oss			48960  0
snd_mixer_oss		  16896  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_via82xx			24256  1
gameport			   11112  1 snd_via82xx
snd_ac97_codec		 83900  1 snd_via82xx
snd_pcm				79784  3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer			  20548  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc		  8392  2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart		 5664  1 snd_via82xx
snd_rawmidi			19616  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device		  6828  4 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
snd					46116  13 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,s					 nd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_					 device
soundcore			   7008  1 snd
8139too				21760  0
mii					 4704  1 8139too
af_packet			  16392  0
floppy				 55444  0
ide_cd				 37988  0
loop				   14504  0
supermount			 31956  1
reiserfs			  266708  1
via_agp				 7584  1
agpgart				29032  1 via_agp
tsdev				   5984  0
usbmouse				4160  0
usbhid				 44544  0
uhci_hcd			   29136  0
usbcore			   108348  5 usb_storage,usbmouse,usbhid,uhci_hcd
evdev				   7648  0
ext3				  124744  1
jbd					48568  1 ext3

------------------------------

thanks again!

C

OK, well you don't need to compile ndiswrapper, you only have to continue it from a certain point in the installation document. So, I'll tell you what you need to do.

First, you need to install ndiswrapper. Now you could compile this, but it comes as a package with Mandriva. You need to open a konsole Window. You will find this in System/Terminals/Konsole. Now, you need to type the following:

su (enter root password when prompted)
urpmi ndiswrapper

now, ndiswrapper is installed. Leave the konsole window open, as we need to continue to use this. Since you have the same card as me, I will post you the link here to save you finding it on the ndiswrapper website.

http://www.netgear.de/download/WG111T/WG111T_GRV1.2.zip

once you've downloaded this, change to the directory in the konsole window and unzip it:

unzip WG111T_GRV1.2.zip

so make sure you know where you downloaded and saved it to. I'm assuming you know how to change to the directory with the cd command.

Now, in the directory you've extracted, you need to find the .inf file for installing the driver. There will probably be two, so install both of them like this:

ndiswrapper -i athfmwdl.inf
ndiswrapper -i netwg11t.inf

now:

depmod -a
modprobe ndiswrapper

now let's see if we can see some wireless access points:

iwlist wlan0 scan

now do:

ndiswrapper -m

edit /etc/modprobe.preload doing this:

vi /etc/modprobe.preload

press the "i" key to insert, and go to the end of the file using the arrow keys, and then make a new line, and type:

ndiswrapper

to save it, press ESC first, and then type:

:wq

Now the next best way to configure your card is to click System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer. Go to the networking option, and set up a new wireless connection using the wizard.

That should sort you out. I've not explained the commands here, and I'm not going to. Read the ndiswrapper installation guide for more information. Reading is what will help you understand Linux better, and help you fix your own system when things go wrong!

Of course, we're always here if you cannot find a solution, but it's good to be able to help yourself fix the problem, than to rely on us giving you the information and forcing us to read it type it again for you :)

Hey Ian,

Firstly thank you so much! That explanation has pointed out quite a few steps that my exploration on the net didn't turn up. So a big thank you :)

I will, give it a bash. I just tried it now, but had one or 2 little issues, so before I come running back to you I will play around with it a tad longer.

Shot for all your help!

C

Glad to help, providing you've done all the above, it should work a treat. Of course, this is for unsecured wireless access, if you've got secured, then you need to choose whether you've entered the WPA or WEP key.