Problem with Installation of Mandriva Free 2007

biddu

Hi all,

I downloaded Mandriva-one-2007-free-gnome in RAR format alonwith 2 other files

1. Mandriva-one-2007-free-gnome.md5.asc

2. Mandriva-one-2007-free-gnome.sha1.asc

While I could burn the image of the RAR format file on to the CD, I am not sure whether to burn the other two files on the same disc. What doI do?

Secondly will the CD boot automatically after insertion in the CD drive?

Is there a site where I can find these instructions or if some one can guide me, it would be great.

Biddu

Guest benerivo

These two extra files (md5 and sha1) often come with large download files. They are simply a way to check if the download of the main file was 'perfect', and that it is not corrupt in any way, which is a very small possibility when downloading.

To answer your question you can simply ignore / delete them. The main file burned to disc is all you need. Put it in the drive and reboot, making sure that the BIOS on your PC is configured to try to boot from the CD drive before it tries to boot from the hard disk - otherwise your computer will just reboot in to windows as normal.

If you want to use the md5 or sha1 files to check the integrity of your rar download, and assuming you are a windows user, then use this program to check...

http://www.blisstonia.com/shareware/WinMD5/

Edited by benerivo

I think you will have downloaded an ISO file, not a file in rar format. If it is in rar format, then you'll have a lot of problems trying to make a CD and booting it. Unless of course, the ISO file was inside the rar file.

I think you will have downloaded an ISO file, not a file in rar format. If it is in rar format, then you'll have a lot of problems trying to make a CD and booting it. Unless of course, the ISO file was inside the rar file.
There was a question like this a while ago, it turned out it was an iso after all, but under that person's Windows the file suffix was hidden and the icon said "rar". Might be the same here too.