newbie lost [solved]

Guest the12cook

Guest the12cook

topic solved ( and a bit more on mounting windows partions too!)

I have downloaded and copied the drivers to my sagem modem to my mandriva one 2007 desktop there appears not to be a set up program as such and I'm not sur, If i click on any of the files some i get a warning asking if i want to run the executable file but nothing seems to happen even when i click yes. I am sensing that I need a tutorial about the concept of how to run code etc. oh and thanks in advance for any help!

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Edited by the12cook

The sagem modem, i guess is a usb modem type?

In general, modem are a headache to use with linux. If you are lucky wnough it might work, but this is very rare.

The sure way is to go a for a router/ethernet modem. Here there is no way of frustration.

All the best!

Guest the12cook

Hi I have been fidling around with the drivers from sagem but no joy a lot I think is down to my inexperience as well as the tricky subject so i have a router winging it's way to me and I hope that will sort things out anyway ethernet is better than usb anyway! Cheers for your help so far guys!

May I ask one more question as to sharing some files (mainly my music and my films) between mandriva kde 2007 and windows xp on my dual boot system, is it possible? how do i use the files in the NTFS partition from mandriva? cheers in advance for any help, as well I cant wait to get mandriva set up so as I can use it as I would like!

Guest benerivo

I have a sagem f@st 800 usb modem that i got to work quite easily with M 2007. I use it instead of my ethernet router as it does not need its own power cable and connects to the net faster - so i am on by the time i have booted up. Here is a link to how i got mine to work...

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/mandriva-...fast-800-a.html

As to mounting your ntfs Windows partition in Mandriva, there are a few ways to do this. The easiest is probably this way...

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=39010

Guest the12cook
As to mounting your ntfs Windows partition in Mandriva, there are a few ways to do this. The easiest is probably this way...

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=39010

cheers for the reply I have since got a wired router which works fine. I'm replying to this post from mandriva!

As to mounting the windows partition I have followed ausie johns advice but i still cant use amorak to play my music yet. I can't find any of the files in that partition either where / how do I navigate to them?

Guest benerivo

To be sure the drives are mounted, open konqueror and go to the /mnt directory (or wherever you chose to mount them) and check they are there. Try to navigate inside them to see if you have read access, and try to make a new folder inside them to check if you have write access.

If they aren't there you'll have to mount them the standard linux way. If they are there then it looks like you don't have read access as a normal user, so the /etc/fstab file will have to be altered to provide you with the permissions you need as a user. To check what control you have as root, go to 'run' from the start menu and run konqueror as the root user. Then try to navigate and write to them.

To mount the standard way, make new folders to be used as mount points, such as creating a folder called windows in/mnt. Then open /etc/fstab and edit it. If your partitions are already mounted, each one will have its own line in the text, if Aussie John's method didn't work for you, then you will have to add new ones for each partition. Either way the structure of the lines should be similar to this...

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=0022,ro 0 0

(this mounts my windows partition in a folder called windows in /mnt. It gives me read access as a normal user - the number of spaces between each part is irrelevant)

Edited by benerivo

Guest the12cook

My 8 year old daughter performed a destructive system restore in windows while i was at work so I havn't had a chance to try your guidance yet ( two os to set up this time!) now as to partition mounting although the windows partition is mounted I cant see anything in it as such so i'll have to try command line version above i assume this is as root? i'm unsure totaly at this point about the console and how to use it

Guest benerivo

To set this up in Mandriva, go to 'run command' from the main menu on the taskbar. Enter konqueror as the command, and in the options section choose to run as different user (you'll need your root password). When run this will open up a konqueror browser window from which all your actions have root privileges. What you need to do is navigate to the /mnt directory and make sure there is a folder in there called windows (or whatever you want to call it). Then go to the /etc directory and open the file called fstab which is kept in there. It will open as a text file. Inside will be lines for each of the drives you have mounted. It sounds as if your windows drive is already mounted so there should be already be a line in there for it. You need to change this line so that it gives you access to the files you have in windows. My windows is on the first partition of the main hard drive (hda1) and my line looks like this...

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0000 0 0

ntfs stands for the file system that windows uses (older versions of windows may be in fat32 format, so if yours is then replace ntfs with vfat).

Edited by benerivo

Guest the12cook

cheers guys seems to be working now I'll open a new threadwhen i come a cropper next time! (thread wandered a bit from internet connection!) butquestions answered cheers! glen