default mdk desktop image

Guest c_m_f

Guest c_m_f

ok...heres somewthing which i believe would be a big thumbs up on a fresh install of mdk:

a nice scenic desktop image, opening and inviting!

as far as i see it, when i boot up a fresh install of mdk i get a dull blue desktop, and it just gives that static feeling, that i have no where to go, but this 'blue abyss'.

With a nice scenic image, calming and pleasing to the eye...its give the feel of a window to another place, like it is possible to actually go somehwere, and its a nice natural image of our world.

Well what do people think of this?

and coulp people post nice scenic images, just to share!

Guest Adriano
With a nice scenic image, calming and pleasing to the eye...its give the feel of a window to another place, like it is possible to actually go somehwere, and its a nice natural image of our world.

Well what do people think of this?

...It seems you've been watching too much XP. ;-)

Personally, I prefer "dull colored images" because they don't distract me so much when I work (in fact, I always maximize, and my res is 1024x768 max, so I hardly see it) Bright multicolored images play hell with my transparent 'terms too. That said, a great image for my desktop (at least, the one I use on KDE) is Kraftwurm.

I tend to use a grey background myself. However, since you're looking for graphics, here is one I use sometimes. It's a satelite composite image of the eastern Atlantic with ocean & landmasses at sunset. I like it because it can be scaled without looking distorted, and it has color variations that work well with different types of icons (though I only use icons infrequently).

http://linux.aliboom.com/images/sunset.jpg

I am a Mac person myself, so I like the cool geometric backgrounds that you tend to get with the Mac. I didn't mind the new background that comes with the Galaxy theme though.

To check out my prefered background, click on the desktop link in my sig.

Guest c_m_f

it snot that im used to xp (havnt used that in along time (and the pic was crappy)

its just i believe that a nice pic is alot to teh eyecandy, i mean some digitally amde kde logo is the best thing really!

Guest Adriano

I agree with you. But if the picture you're looking for is meant to attract users, it doesn't matter so much as a good ad campaign. After all, if you are seeing a nice inviting screen it's because you have already installed the whole thing (so you are pretty confident on what you'll see (this _is_ still Linux, remember. You _want_ to install it. Sadly, it's still fairly uncommon to receive it without warning)), or someone did for you, in which case you'll just choose whatever-fancies-you/is-on-the-"wallpapers"-folder.

For an enterprise, the best background is probably one that, while being friendly, is also unobtrusive. For a home user, you probably do want something a bit more inviting than that, but I strongly feel this is _very_ dependent on your mileage. From the crappy (too small and blurry) screenshots I saw on the mandrake site, Galaxy looks very "professional", and unobtrusive. I like that (see, my mileage kicking in :-)).

I said that blurb about XP because, that was the image that popped into my mind as soon as I read your post. I didn't mean to offend you. While the pic must be absolute crap to work in front of every day, it makes great eyecandy _for_an_ad_, I think. Colours were very carefully chosen to convey thoughts about "fresh/new", "calm/trustworthy", "safe", "easy", I think. MS should drop the software/hardware thing and commit fully to the marketing business. We should do a better job of promoting Linux. One way to do it is, as your idea was, to make it look inviting.

Browse the NASA and National Geographic pictures. You may find a good one.

Here at work, I use a photo of both Earth and Moon lighted by the sun from the right side (I roughly have two half-spheres), in the black of space.

It's nice-looking, and leaves plenty of black space for placing icons, without obscuring the planet and its sattelite.

Yves.