mandrake-9.1 KDE: desktop cd icons have no eject option

Guest ndeb

Personnaly I dump these two icons right to the garbage (have burner and dvd) and created new ones. Only the burner was set 'hdx=ide-scsi' in lilo.conf so I emulated both of them as scsi device, modified fstab a bit, removed supermount (I hate that windows option) and created new icons. The eject and mount option are there now.

HTH

MOttS

Mandrake 9.1 seems to enable the "Display devices on desktop" feature (from configuration, goto look and feel then Behavior) so those icons are different from previous mandrake distro. Just disable that feature and then make your own icons.

DragonMage,

You are absolutely right. I figured this out after some time and disabled the Display devices on desktop feature. The icons disappeared.

Then I right clicked on the desktop to create device icons of the type CD/DVD-ROM. The device list for the icon just did not have any of the cdrom and floppy entries. The reason is that by default, supermount is enabled but mandrake KDE does not parse the supermount entries in /etc/fstab correctly so that it does not see the cdrom and floppy devices at all.

So mandrake has made two mistakes on top of each other:

1. Included supermount and enabled it by default even though it is still buggy (I have concrete proof of that)

2. Supplied a version of KDE that just does not parse the supermount entries correctly from /etc/fstab.

Obviously, any new user will be hard pressed to create a desktop CD icon that has the full functionality of a CD icon.

The way out is to copy the desktop CD icons from my mdk-9.0 install using texstar's really nice kde-3.1. I wonder why mandrake does such a bad job when texstar is so good.

I figure out to access CD-Rom from Konqueror file-browser.

On the leftmost column, click on the <Star> icon (Services).

Then click on Devices, you will find your CD-Rom drive(s) there.

Click on the CD-Rom device for which you want to supermount. It should work right away - sometimes consecutive clicks will crash Konqueror, however...