Mandriva Flash USB or other distro

sjaglin

Hi,

I am quite often using a live cd (mandriva 2007) to use the power of some PCs at work where windows is unusable for certain aps like spreadsheet etc ...

Am looking for a distro on a key where there would be part of the key dedicated to the distro and a partition for my data. I currently have a 512MB key but could easyly get another one for quite cheap.

I like the idea of the Flash key from my best distro BUT the kernel is already old and there is no hope of updating.

So which distro would you advise me or better, do you know how to create mu mandriva on a key AND update it as I wish..

Thanks for your help!

Stef

:D

[moved from Tips & Tricks spinynorman]

Well if youve seen any of my posts you know that i bought the flash an immediately had issues.

they were resolved but ONLY with the help of other users mandriva support was useless.

that being said I am currently experiemnting with 3 versions of mandriva on USB devices.

1) the mandriva flash. once i got mine back to zero i immediately tried to put it on a 4GB key, and it worked. My original is on a shelf and i work ONLY with the 4GB key. #1 more room and #2 if it blows up I still have one working

2) I also use MCNLive. This is AWESOME and if i had seen it before i pulled the trigger on the M-flash i would be $70 richer today. i never would have bought the Mflash. MCNL allows you to 'roll your own' and gives you all the tools needed. Dont speak Galeic? then why have itinstalled? The 1st thing i did was remove 300MB of languages that i DONT speak(who knows yiddish i mean really?). The Author is a HUGE proponent of running this version in RAM. If you have 1GB of ram (512 will do) you can load the OS and apps into RAM and it FLIES.

However there is a major limitation, if you are impatient. You MUST remaster the CD (key etc.) when you make systemic chanhes. For example it comes with Kmail installed. I prefer Thunderbird. So i install it setup my mail accounts and remaster it. Now everything is where it should be. Otherwise you lose it on reboot.

3) The Author OF MCNL has a version that include virtual city VM software installed. From your flash key boot linux and then from within THAT you can create as many VM's with as many different OS's as your RAM will support. My goal, load a DVD with that version , load XP on THAT and then load my companies VPN on THAT. Instead of carrying a laptop all the time. I just need the DVD. This version ALSO has the ability to install to a USB Hard drive. So mine is on a 60GB WD Passport, powers from the USB and has LOTS of room.

Again this has the same remastering issue that MCNL does. SO you must be patient.

I guess you can tell which one i like more, but heck spend $100 and try them all, you'll STILL be ahead of windows vista. You know Windows XP SP3

Hi Mindwave,

Great , I will be trying some of that tomorrow, I ll be a bit limited as I only have a 512Mb key. I ll get something a bit bigger and hopefully try and get mandriva flash.

Thanks for your time, and no i can t remember that thing you calll winXP, probably an ols OS which did not survive progress,

Stef

;)

Hi,

So, I carry-on in my querry for a good distro that I can carry on my little USB key. I ve tried DSL (Damn Small Linux) and is ok but not great. Puppy linux seems interresting, I love it as a live CD but their USB key installer didn t like my key. It installed the distro but no booting was happening.

So following rhe advice of a fellow Linux use (see earlier in the thread) I tried MCNLive CD on my key. This is just GREAT for any mandriva user, it s like Mandriva but running off a USB key so Just what I was looking for. I still have to play with it and try it on other PCs to test it but it seems really promessing.

I am now going to try SLAX, I already know their CD but Gowator says that it s the best so I have to try...

Back in a while once I ve tried it then!

Stef

B)