USB problems with Gigabyte K8NS Ultra Motherboard

jbuckley2004

I recently replaced a ASUS P3F MB with a Gigabyte K8NS Ultra, and am using an AMD 3800+ and a very old ATI 7000 graphics card that the motherboard is running at 1x. The OS is Mandriva 2007 free, the 32 bit version, not the 64 bit version.

The only functionality I seem to have lost in the upgrade is my USB ports, sort of. The Dell keyboard works through the USB ports without complaint, but my memorex traveldrive and Scandisk cruzer mini aren't recognized.

dmesg returns

usb 2-4.2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4

usb 2-4.2: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub

usb 2-4.2: no configuration chosen from 1 choice

when I plug the drives into the keyboard's USB ports, but returns nothing when they're plugged directly into the ports in the back of the case.

The hardware configuration from the MCC shows me two OHCI Host controlers, one EHCI host controller and one keyboard hub, all of which have Media Class as Hub|Unused. The keyboard hub seems to be identified correctly as the Dell keyboard.

I guess I have several questions: How can I begin to trouble-shoot this? and Is this a USB driver problem? Are there other Nvidia drivers available, or Is there some manual config I should do?

Is there a BIOS setting that I'm missing? (Most of the relevant settings for the USB are defaults, but I changed one to USB legacy keyboard, which seemed to solve a small earlier problem that I had with the lilo).

Any help is appreciated.

Try setting all the settings in the bios for the USB ports to be legacy support that may help.

It may be that the keyboard is slowing down the port also.

Mine has 4 Ports on the back but with the ten items usb i have two hubs and then i have to plug items into the correct ports as some run at the USB1 speed and others run at the USB2 speed.

As soon as you plug a USB1 device into a USB slot it will drop all to USB1 which they may not be able to support, thus causing the device to fail.

Try setting all the settings in the bios for the USB ports to be legacy support that may help.

Thanks, Michael. It's working now, but I'm not exactly sure why It wasn't before. Oddly, the USB ports are NOT working through the keyboard (they used to, when I was using Mandriva 2006 - I suspect that might be a driver issue), and it doesn't seem to matter if I select legacy keyboard or not in the BIOS.

For the curious, though, I noticed that one of the 4 ports was ECHI, and when I plugged the thumb drive into it, then it the automount came up immediately. So I thought to myself "Self, maybe you just never tried that port before. They all look the same to you, ya know." ;>

I was even more surprised to find that after that, the thumb drive worked in *all* the ports in the back of the box.

I don't believe in magic, but sometimes, ya gotta wonder.