Weirdness of the 9.1 kind...

gizzmo

Have done a clean install of 9.1 and am having a few problems:

1) Logging into KDE as root gives me a taskbar, but nothing on the desktop. No icons, can't right click to change wallpaper, etc.

2) VNCing from my windows desktop no longers works. I have used the normal configuration on my xstartup file, tried different versions of VNC (and tightVNC) with no luck.

3) Everytime I reboot the machine, my DNS settings in Network get reset to 127.0.0.1

NOTE: I have installed 9.1 on three different machines all with the same results.

I've had the same issue but with RC2.

Couldn't get it resolved so I figured it must be disk image corrupted or something since all previopus mandrake as well as Rehat and Suse and Gentoo versions worked great on the same machine.

Now that final 9.1 is out, I don't have that problem any more but different one where I can't login to KDE at all.

Gnome works great, KDE worked great when I installed it but as soon as I rebooted it first time that was it.

Strange behaviour and it is not something KDE related since I had same version of KDE on my Gentoo install just before that worked flawless.

I've seen another post on this forum with same problem but no solution.

Damn! :(

The root login for KDE is under MandrakeSoft Buzzilla#2517. No fix in site thus far.

The VNC issue is under MandrakeSoft Buzzilla#3081. Seems Mandrake new about the issue from RC2, but didn't bother fixing it.

For the DNS issue I just edited the resolv.conf file. This seems to have fixed it.

I agree with dragonmage. That red screen has been there a while, and I think Mandrake is attempting to discourage the use of logging in as root in kde. It really should not be done, as it is just to easy to break your system without being able to fix it. Believe me, I have done it!! :wink:

Actually, logging into Gnome as root is no problem. Just don't try to use any of the Mandrake KDE specific programs. As for Mandrake not wanting people to log in as root, that's pretty lame. I can do the same damage under a users id with su. I don't believe this is a feature that Mandrake wants (imho). For me it's just a lot easier to log in as root and make my changes instead of typing the root password 20 times in a users session (OK, maybe not 20 times, but you get my point).

Oh, and to clarify my point. It's not the red background I care about, its actually using the desktop within KDE as root. Just thought I would ad that since some people think I am talking about the red background for some reason.

OK, found the fix for the Root login to KDE:

Under "Misc Options" enable "Enable icons on desktop". Also have a look at "Clic

on Desktop" to enable mouse actions.

Way to simple a fix for that one.