drakbackup and samba

sjaglin

Hi there,

I am trying to be a good boy (new years resolution) and want to organise my backups. I have a NAS hard drive attached on my network and would rather save my backups on it.

To reach this HD (on my 192.162.1.200) I use samba. The only protocols that drackbackup proposes are ftp, ssh and rsync. I don t know which one to pick and how to configure them.

Any idea?

Stef

:unsure:

The biggest prob is that CIFS doesn't support full file attributes.... last modification time and access time etc. so you should be OK GOING to the "Windows drive" but not the other way round....

Im not certain how drak backup itself works but commercial SW usually has a FULL, partial and incremental and these use the file attributes to see what is changed...

My GUESS is its really just a front end for rsynch

More sophisticated backup SW (especially for Windows) uses a database of the files... since in Windows the full attributes are not available (might be in some versions of NTFS but then this is also partially handled by a Windows database)

You might check out

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2002-May/002668.html

http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_s...hots/index.html

Verify that the NAS only does Samba (or CIFS). Some do rsync or NFS, both of which are somewhat more linux oriented [i think -- am researching the same, but haven't got anuthing going at present other than a repurposed old PC running FreeNAS.

Some other references if you are using rsync are rsnapshot and Dirvish. I use rsnapshot to backup to a local HD (not good enough for disaaster recover I know), and find it quite usefull.

Verify that the NAS only does Samba (or CIFS). Some do rsync or NFS, both of which are somewhat more linux oriented [i think -- am researching the same, but haven't got anuthing going at present other than a repurposed old PC running FreeNAS.

Some other references if you are using rsync are rsnapshot and Dirvish. I use rsnapshot to backup to a local HD (not good enough for disaaster recover I know), and find it quite usefull.

Thanks for all that, the NAS server also supports FTP, would that be any better?

Stef

I am not so sure that transfer by ftp preserves file attributes. It also depends on the file-system that the NAS uses. If this is FAT32 then permissions cannot be stored as FAT32 only knows hidden, system, readonly and archive attributes. with NTFS there is more room, but I am not so sure that the NAS software will map the linux attributes (user & group-ID, permission) correctly.

I would just copy some files to the NAS and then back and see how that goes.