mandriva very slow

Guest stefcasti

Guest stefcasti

I notice this fact:

1st time i installed mandriva 2007 was 10 days ago on a partition, so I had both xp and mandriva.

2 days ago I decided to have only mandriva on my laptop so I install again (using mandriva's DVD formatting sw). After reinstalling everything I noticed (and now is the same) that kde, applications and so on was very slow... slower than the 1st installation and xp! (I have a laptop pentium IV 3200 1 giga ram).

It takes time to open sw and even to open menus and menu windows.

I can see that my ram (1 giga) is 99% busy (about 60% of this is cache ram), while I use 0% of swap.

what can it be? what can I do?

stefano

I think everything is related to the things you noted in your first topic. I would first try to update KDE, maybe create another user (this can be done from the mandrivca control center) and see it problems persist.

Another thing to try is in a terminal as root (type su, then ennet your password ):

kbuildsycoca --global --noincremental

Guest stefcasti

Thank you very much for your message.

I use terminal only for a few items... I know only a few basic commands.

can you please explain me (so I can learn and remember it) the command kbuildsycoca? k-build-sy... it seems something referred to system or kde!

thank you in advance