Problem with Update

Guest stefcasti

Guest stefcasti

hello to everyone. I'm new to Mandriva.

After some testing, finally 2 days ago I replaced windows xp on my laptop (pentium IV 3200 1 giga ram) with Mandriva 2007.

Yesterday after installing all needed software and personalizing desktops, icons and transferring my datas, I decided to update the sistem.

Surely I intalled some (or many?) extra rpm not needed ans some of them crash and make a big problem:

after boot, when kde starts I see 3/4 windows error.

when I clic the icon resounces on my dektop (it opens Konqueror) or try to open sw like xvedit... I receive an error message and then they don't work properly.

message is always the same: (I translate them in English)

IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND TYPE MIME

APPLICATION/OCTET-STREAM

I'd like not to format everything... so please help me in solve this problem!

stefano from Italy

Welcome to the board :beer:

Did you set up all your easyurpmi repositories? Let's see if you did, please post the output of:

urpmq --listmedia

so we can see what you have. Then, go to the easyurpmi link at the top of this page, and make sure you set up at least main, contrib, main_updates and contrib_updates. I would even select plf-free and plf-nonfree as well.

Then, I would suggest updating your system again, you can do it nice and easy from the command line with:

urpmi --auto-select --auto

this updates everything, not just updates. I think you've got some problems because of some packages being updated, and some not. This should hopefully fix that.

Guest stefcasti

Thank you very much for this message.

No, this time I've not used easyrpm. I updated the list in the window panel of kde adding 2 standard distro repositary ftp in USA.

this evening I'll tray as you suggest!

I hope to fix everything!

Yes, using easyurpmi shall give you additonal repositories, and allow you to get the updates you need. Some of the updates, could have relied on something from another repository, although not always the case.