X-Terminal networking problems...

qeldroma

Terminalserver stalled!! WHY??

me:

I got a smal biz-network, which relays on a terminalserver via XDMCP/GDM.

Suddenly, the server hang up, and the keyboard LED's flashed.

After reset, all is ok again, but why did it stall??

I HAVE to find out, why, else the corporateleader will kill me, because my argument for this solution was stability and security!!

How do i find the reason step by step??

---------------------------------------------------------

Bluebeard:

Was there any kind of power (mains) interruption or other kind of overload at the time of the lockup? Can you make the problem recur? Did one of the users do something that locked up the server?

me:

Power could be a hint. They work in an area where the power is fluctuating.

Bluebeard:

If you think it might be power, you can test the load by plugging in a device (even a light bulb) that draws enough current to dim the lights in the room (not fluorescent, they may not show the effect) and watch the server. If it hiccups even slightly when tested more than once, you have your answer. The server should be on its own breaker and in a business envronment it is probably worth considering a UPS with line conditioning built in.

XDMCP and login problems

me:

Situation:

Three terminals logg into one server via GDM/XDMCP. GDM is setupped to allow 100(!) connections. Every terminal loggs in/out daily.

After approximately one week, the clients can't logg in further, they get the message, that no further connections are allowed.

If i reinit (init 3->init 5) the server, all is good again.

I think:

that gdm doesn't notice the disconnections of the terminals every night. Then he assembles every connection until the hundred are full. Now he denies...

What to do:

How can i fond out the reason for sure??

If it is the sessionmanagement, how do i repair it??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

iferreira:

Check the ouput of the netstat -n command, you should see network connections still ESTABLISHED to your X server, maybe it will help if you set -once to the XDMCP client options. Maybe you need to find out about tcp keepalive options, this also may solve the problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

neiliak:

Meanwhile, you could add re-init 3 -> 5 to a cron job at night when there is no one connected. This is just a work around for you dilemma.

Are different resolutions on the clients possible?

me:

Let us say, I've got a terminal server with severall X-clients, diskless off course

Can every terminal have another resolution and the X-Servers on every machine know how to handle the incoming X-Session from the server, or do all have to share the same resolustion/colordepth

(Especially bad, when having different monitors...)

I read the XDMCP HowTo, the X MiniHowTo and most google did find....

---------------------------------------------

theYinYeti:

I do not speak from experience, but as far as I know, the client application (eg Mozilla, Gimp or Nautilus) is on the server machine and asks (by the X protocol) to be displayed on $DISPLAY. In your case, $DISPLAY refers to the client machine.

Each client machine runs its own X server, with its own color depth, its own resolution, maybe dual-head... And the client application, though it lives on the server machine, deals with this X server, the same as it would if this application lived instead on the same machine (the client machine). That's because the X protocol makes the network transparent (invisible) to the application.

So, in short, the answer is: YES, I think...

---------------------------------------------

me:

YES, THEY DO (WOOHOO) !!!!!!!!!!!!

Different X-Server-settings don't care.....