Access denied /mnt/cdrom

Guest kayann

Guest kayann

Today for some reason I can no longer access my DVD drive under Mandrive 2007 Powerpack.

Yesterday it was working fine :-)

When I go into Devices (icon on desktop) and double click on the DVD drive, I see the mount process running, then a message pops up saying "Access denied /mnt/cdrom."

For some strange reason it's user id and group are set to some weird random number: 4294967295. This suprises me but then again I don't know if it is meant to be or not - I would've expected something more like 'ken' as that is my user id/login.

I'm pretty new to all this so go easy :-)

As root (su in terminal) I 'umount /mnt/cdrom', then 'chown root:root /mnt/cdrom'. (change seems to show in konquorer)

(why did i do this? simply because that's what I saw my hard drive partitions all are owner: root, group: root)

However when I then mount it I still get access denied, and user id and group get reset back to that same strange number.

When I unmount it - it's all back to root:root...

fstab file:

/dev/sda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/sda8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0,nls=utf8,ro 0 0
/dev/sda6 /mnt/win_d ntfs umask=0,nls=utf8,ro 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

What tampering have I done lately? Nothing that I would've thought relevant. in fact the ONLY thing I did was play with my video card drivers. Ie. in the config tool I changed my graphics card from Radeon (fbdev) which is where it was after install, to Radeon. Dumb i know. Lost my gui didn't I. no screens or whatnot. Thankfully I dual boot with Vista... I tried xorgconfig but that didn't work. However XFdrake worked, and my gui is back, however after this (I suspect) when I try to access my dvd drive i get this acces denied error.

Only weird thing i noted (no idea if it's always been like this) but config shows device sr0 with a connection type of SCSI... and my DVD drive is an IDE drive... disk identifier is correct. and i can get to the dvd via the terminal as root...

I can listen to Audio CD's fine, but I guess that's cause they don't really mount... (or so I hear rumored)

Any ideas? I've spent a while searching and reading but nothing seems to have helped...

Guest kayann
Is it some USB or firewire drive?

Which kernel version are you booting?

Try commenting out/deleting the fstab entry:

/dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

No, just a standard internal IDE DVD writer.

If 'uname -r' is the right command then the kernel is "2.6.17-5mdv"

Deleting that fstab entry fixed the problem. Discs can now be accessed, and seems to be working as per normal. The only thing I noted, and don't know if this is normal or not, is that they appear to mount to '/mnt/DISC_LABEL', where DISC_LABEL is the label of the cd/dvd inserted in the drive. eg. '/mnt/2007.0-Powerpack-i586-disc1'.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by kayann

Guest kayann

Don't mean to spam my own thread but...

I suspect that this new mounting behaviour is not how it should be doing it as now when I try to do some things (eg. install packages) the system can't find the DVD because it is looking for it to be mounted at mnt/cdrom as opposed to a constantly changing mnt/DISC_LABEL... :mellow:

EDIT:

Until something else goes wrong I think I many have fixed it.

Basically from this point I deleted /mnt/cdrom, then in the configuration centre where you set your CD/DVD mount point I changed it to something else, then changed it back to mnt/cdrom, and on exit it asked if I wished to save the fstab changes, which I did, and now all seems back to normal, with discs mounting in mnt/cdrom and with me being able to access them again.

Edited by kayann

The new removable media automounter (it's the combo message bus / hal / pmount) can mount CD's and DVD's without any fstab entry, but a few applications (e.g. wine ) may need that entry.

Still, I think /dev/sr0 cannot be the correct device node for an Atapi CD-ROM, even if you use kernel 2.6.19 (which uses a new ATA nomenclature).