Intel core 2 duo 6600 {conroe}

Asrock m/b conroe945G-DVI

Samsung 250 Gig Sata H/D

Intel Mdia Accelerator 950 Graphics

Realtech ALC8887.1 HD Audio

Gigabit Lan

Monitor Aoc 193fw+ 19 Wideescreen

1 Gig Memory

Installation 64 bit completd okay on reboot selectd mandrak boots okay but x does not start.Laves me with a blue screen with color tearing along top. At this point keyboard & mouse are inactive

I do Have Kubuntu installed on this machine and have no problems with it.

Any sujjestion greatly appreciated

Regards Sharke

Go into the BIOS disable the core so it's as if the machine only has one processor. Then when the machine is booted, install a 2.6.18 kernel there are some you can get from urpmi (set up your easyurpmi sources first using the link at the top of this page).

When you set them up make sure you choose the 64 bit version. Then all you need to do is search through the list of kernels and find an smp 2.6.18 kernel. This will help you find one:

urpmf --name kernel | grep smp | grep 2.6.18

then, when you see one, just do:

urpmi kernel-linus-smp-2.6.18.5

or whatever it happens to be called.

Guest sharke
Go into the BIOS disable the core so it's as if the machine only has one processor. Then when the machine is booted, install a 2.6.18 kernel there are some you can get from urpmi (set up your easyurpmi sources first using the link at the top of this page).

When you set them up make sure you choose the 64 bit version. Then all you need to do is search through the list of kernels and find an smp 2.6.18 kernel. This will help you find one:

thank you for your advice.

I changed the bios but still have the same symptms.

I have the the whole cd on hard drive do you think i could delete kernel and then add this smp kernel here and install from hard drive.

Regards

sharke

Guest sharke

thank you for your advice.

I changed the bios but still have the same symptms.

I have the the whole cd on hard drive do you think i could delete kernel and then add this smp kernel here and install from hard drive.

Regards

sharke

Qkay x problem solved after deliberation i came to realize the blue screen was a video problem not a kernel one.

If i booted in safe modei could only get to prompt in single user mode amd could not log in to root.

So i booted kubuntu mounted mandriva with sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt

Edited initab and changed run level to3 rebooted mandriva logged into root reconfigured x with /XFdrake startx success ARRGGH no mouse. close session reconfigured mouse with /mouusedrake selecting auto start x success.

Regards

Sharke