One up for Linux

SilverSurfer60

I've been windows free for quite some time now but needed to install windows for photo printing, linux doesn't do that too well, anyway my sound card ( A7V8X-X) works perfectly with linux but can I get it to work with windows. Not a chance even with the correct drivers it refuses to utter a peep.

Normal colour printing is fine in linux it's just when it comes to photo printing the colours a pretty horrible really. My printer is a HP2600n laser. I have read a number of texts on this and they all say the same thing. Yes I have tried various correction filters and stuff but no great joy. I'm not asking for help, just a bit smug that linux has one up on windows. :thumbs:

I have the same problem with my AC97 on my system. One day it was working in Windows, then intermittently not and then completely not working. And then when I installed Linux, it was working and was shocked. I thought it was all bust ;)

I actually, oddly enough, had that problem with a wireless network card. The WinXP drivers on the disc worked fine on ndiswrapper, but I couldn't get them to work on WinXP. Still have no clue why.

• 3 weeks later...

The big problem with this kind of issue:

if it happens to windows users, they sort of accept it - that's the way things are, right?

If it happens to windows users moving to Linux, it's Linux that is "not ready yet"...

Windows does not 'just work all the time', it too has to be made to work at times...

Same as ianw 1974 said applies to my AC97soundcard too! In Windows it always has a buzzing noise, and it gets worse when moving the mouse. No decent sound recordings possible in Windows.

However in Linux, the AC97 works! In KLetters, the German and real (UK) English versions were actually recorded with that card, i would not have submitted anything if the quality would not have been good.

Helmut

Edited by Helmut

And I thought I was starting something new :lol2:

Sadly the original sound card has died in Linux as well Not had time to play about with it yet so just stuck another card in for the time being. Still it did work with Linux and not with Windows :thumbs:

Edited by SilverSurfer60