Grub

thebrookster

I am attempting to add my Windows XP installation to Grub. I have attempted to add it using the relevant wixard in mcc, however when I tried to boot into Windows it just told me that it was not a bootable disk. Having researched this online, I have become even more confused, as everything I have found goes on about chainloaders, which I am fairly certain that I have never used before when faced with a similar problem. The gist of my system is that I have Mandriva installed on my Primary Master HDD, I have a Primary Slave HDD which contains only files, and I have Windows installed onto my SATA drive on partition sda1. (I have two disc drives on the Secondary IDE controller.) What code do I need to enter into menu.lst to boot XP (which is an NTFS partition).

Any advice/help given will be much appreciated,

Phil

P.S Grub is installed onto the MBR of the Primary Master HDD

You can try this one, it works for me change hd0,0 to your set up (probably (hd1,0), you can check in /boot/grub/device.map which is which )

title windows

root (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

if it doesn't work you might give a command to switch the active partition or something like that, I can't remember :unsure:

edit: add this after the root command:

map (hd0) (hd1)

map (hd1) (hd0)

you might need to change hd1 to the drive with the windows partition on it, check your device.map

Edited by ffi

to use ffi's suggestion you'll need to directly edit your /etc/grub.conf file with your favorite text editor, as root.

if you don't understand let us know and we'll try to explain it better.

I always use this entry for Windows in grub:

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

but there can be variations depending on where Windows is loaded, and what disk it's no to how the rootnoverify works, as well as the remapping.