Sound not working [solved]

ianw1974

Just installed Mandriva 2007 on my nice, new laptop, and despite getting my other hardware problems working (wireless and SD card), I just can't seem to get the sound going.

This is the output from lspci for the card:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
	Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Unknown device 0001
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
	Memory at ffd3c000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
	Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
	Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0

I thought at first it might be alsa, or could even still be alsa. I've got alsa 1.0.13 installed, and even upgraded the kernel to the latest 2.6.19.1 to ensure all was at the latest version - but I'm still got getting any sound output.

Any ideas out there as to what might be happening? I've ran alsaconf, and checked volume levels in kmix, but the controls in there are very limited.

I would guess that you still do not have the correct driver for the sounchip. Go into MCC and try some alternative driver selections.

If none work then your new machine may be too new for a suitable driver for the moment.

Bad luck.

John.

I would guess that you still do not have the correct driver for the sounchip. Go into MCC and try some alternative driver selections.

If none work then your new machine may be too new for a suitable driver for the moment.

A quick google shows that sound works with Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) using the snd-hda-intel driver

I have the newest driver available with alsa, as I'm using the latest stable release of 1.0.13 but still can't get it working :sad:

Even trying what alsa say on their website for this card, still doesn't work.

I might try a live distro CD and see if it works any better with that. I reckon that it's prob too new, as I've had to do a lot of things manually, that I've never had to do before to get hardware working.

Ok i know this i had the same sort of problem on my new computer..

Upgrade the Kernel to the kernel-linus version the latest in the Cooker.

This will auto detect and fix the problem i think..

I downloaded the kernel the source and the doc file then installed each one, just double click and it should prompt you to install.

Then reboot, select the new kernel in the list and it should work..

I'll give it a go a bit later on, have to disappear to a client now. I did compile my own kernel - 2.6.19.1 which has alsa 1.0.13 with it, and alsa is recognising this. I'm wondering if there is something else then, if your using a cooker kernel that works fine, and is also 2.6.19 based.

Did you add the repos for cooker, or download manually?

Shall update later, most likely tomorrow or over the weekend.

Did a manual download of the three files from the cooker. and copied them to a usb drive.

I have no connection at home at the moment fast enough and now in the office is not so good (Taiwan cables cut)..

Even if the connection was good the network card also NVIDIA was not detected until this kernel was used.

I am using all the other files from the 2007 free.. I did a rsync for those files i use them in the office as well.

Had no problems with the computer since then.

Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. In fact, I couldn't get my wireless working after this or even configure the module into the kernel either.

My own 2.6.19.1 personal compiled kernel works much better, but I still don't get sound either. I don't get sound with the 2.6.19.3 Mandriva Cooker kernel either.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Incidently, fixed this now when I used Ubuntu, and also in Fedora too. You just need to add this, most likely in /etc/modprobe.conf for Mandriva:

options snd-card-0 enable=1 index=0 model=basic
options snd-hda-intel enable=1 index=0 model=basic

as it was the same file for Fedora 7.