Can not startx after installing Mandriva 2007 mini

Guest mody

I am a newbie to Linux, I have installed mandriva 2007 mini which is one CD -

during installing it informed me that "mandatory pakage acpid is missing"

after installing completed, I was in the shell while when typeing the command "startx" I get the following:

(EE) Failed to load module "i810" (module does not exist, 0)

(EE) No devices detected

fetal server error

no screens found

X10 fetal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on x server ":0.0"

after 0 events remaining.

I have re installed the whole thing again and I get the same result - so please advise

i810 module, as well as acpid should be present, even in 2007 mini, so I suspect the medium you use has unreadable data due to a bad burn/medium... but anyway:

Try editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changing "i810" to "vesa"

Now is it loading Xserver after "startx" or not?

As for acpi- simply try reinstalling the package...

i810 module, as well as acpid should be present, even in 2007 mini, so I suspect the medium you use has unreadable data due to a bad burn/medium... but anyway:

Try editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changing "i810" to "vesa"

Now is it loading Xserver after "startx" or not?

As for acpi- simply try reinstalling the package...

Thank you for the advise

I have changed "i810" to "vesa" - but I have got the same error telling me that module "vesa" does not exist

so I suspect the medium you use has unreadable data due to a bad burn/medium...

I would try to burn a new CD at a slower speed.

Thank you daniewicz - it seems this is better, I will download it again from the net then will born it with lower speed - unfortunately, two more days will pass till I do that with my slow internet DSL

unfortunately, two more days will pass till I do that with my slow internet DSL

I was at a bookstore yesterday and one of the linux magazines for sale (10 USD) had a Mandriva 2007 DVD (or CD) attached. Maybe this is another option if your DSL is so slow?

I have downloaded another copy of the mandriva 2007 mini again and I have bornt it on new CD but after installing the new CD, I have got exactly the same result with the same error.

By the way, I am outside USA, very far away.

Looking foreward to further assistance .....

If you still have the iso on your harddrive perhaps you could use bittorrent to correct any bad data. You can google for midsummer to check the md5sum of the iso. Taken from the link I provided below it should read :

md5sum : f2c570bda9589fe95db795e21d57ee43

I'm assuming this is your cd ?

BitTornado works well for me in both XP and Mandy.

I hope this helps :D

Happy Holidays everyone!

Larry

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest deiriemon

I am experiencing the very same issue after upgrading from a well functioning install of Mandriva 2006.

along with the "failed to load i810 (module doesnt exist)" error I also recieved an

"unable to open /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a" error when typing startx. That got me thinking. So I started mc and started looking for these files. Here is what I found. The libglx.a error indicated the same path the file was in but the file name was ligblx.so not libglx.a -- So i changed the name in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to the .so file and that error went away. Next I went looking for the xserver driver modules since as like Mody found changing from i810 or any other driver resulted in the module not found error. I found the i810 along with all other installed modules in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers as i810_drv.so

So on a hunch that the filname being looked for might be different here as in the first error, I replaced the i810 text called for in the xorg.config file with the full path and filename i810_drv.so -- Now the file is found but gives a new version related error.----- "Module ABI major version (0) doesnt match the server version (1)"

Which gives the impression that since mine is an upgrade that the old files were not replaced with the new versions during the install. Mody, since you did a fresh install I am guessing that if you look in these directorys that you will find no files there.

Do others really think its a faulty cd ??

It seems like there would be an error during install or something. But if others think so I will waste my time and go through the whole download and burn process again.

I should also mention that I tried a reinstall and ran the configure and test tool during install and it gave the same errors as after the install. I also ran XFdrake after the install and it could not find the files either.

My well functioning 2006 system is now unusable as I cannot fathom how to get x running. If anyone has any suggestions that might help iI would sure appreciate it.

Guest deiriemon

Just an addition to my previous post. I checked the on server md5 checksum with my downloaded iso and they match .... as expected. I aslo read trhough all the posts concerning 2007 and found no joy there. :wall: All in all I am thinking I made a big mistake in trying 2007.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest deiriemon

I must admit to being very suprised that there have been no further replies to this topic.

Are there really no others running into this issue or are just a very small number of peeps trying the Mini install ?

After reading a review of Mandriva 2007 on www.linux.org where the author was so annoyed by the same issue described here after trying the mini install on 3 different machines that he gave up on reviewing Mandriva completely, I decided to revisit this post to see a long list of others experiencing this issue with hopes for a possible solution.

To my suprise .... there are no new comments.

Is anyone else able to do a mini install ???

Are the answers I seek readily available in another thread or other easily accessible location and I am just showing my Noobie ass by not spotting it myself ??

If so please feel free to publicly flog me here.... as I will glady accept such flogging if

it leads to some info that gets this problem solved :P

If anyone has been successfull with the mini install ... please do tell.

I am thinking that the issue is just that the install is not completing even tho it claims to.

Perhaps the main point of the install ... (getting most of the files from the network) is the issue. Is there a manual way I can define the repositories needed to finnish the install ?

Does anyone have any info on this issue ?

Saying the cd is bad or something does not help. I wiped my previous install of Mandriva and decided to try a fresh install instead and got the same result. Except now, since it wasnot an upgrade like before, many of the command line tools like mmc and Xfdrake are not installed as well.

Perhaps a newer version of the cd is avail that we have missed?

Feel free to try the mini install urself on a test machine or something and tell us how it goes.

Any help is appreciated.... deiriemon

I have installed Mandriva 2006 mini without this problem, and even Mandriva 2006. Both using the i810 module, and also Mandriva 2007. I've not used the 2007 mini CD though.

I'd expect you've got problems burning the CD. Either the download was corrupted and therefore the md5sum didn't verify correctly, or when it was burnt it was corrupted or the CD lens needs cleaning if it's not making a clean burn. Try burning at a slower speed (4x) and see if that helps. If not, clean the drive and try again.