3D desktop

aatwo

Hi. I have a Radeon x1600 and a free version of the mandrake linux 07 distribution running on a dual core 64bit system.

At the moment I cannot activate the 3D environment since it says that my system does not supports 3D desktop effects. How do I get the 3D environment to work? I remember reading somewhere that if you had the free version of mandriva that you had to download propietary drivers to get it to work but I don't know where to start looking for them.

Somone help me I'd kill for that 3D desktop :D

You can try doing this:

urpmi dkms-ati

which is by far the easiest way. However, you need to make sure you have your easyurpmi repositories. Go to the easyurpmi link at the top of this page and setup for main/contrib/main_updates/contrib_updates/plf-free/plf-nonfree and you should be able to get it running easily enough.

Might require running:

aticonfig

from the command prompt first though to get it all finished. Alternatively, go into System/Configuration/Hardware/Harddrake and then select your video card, and run the config tool for this by clicking the run config button, and then it should say something about using the proprietary drivers for this card.

Otherwise, do manually as I mentioned above using aticonfig.

ok well I was given 4 commands to type into the console and I typed in two of them. The third one didn't work and when I next tried to log in it told me my home directory did not exist... I restarted and its back but what was that all about?

Is there another way to get the 3D desktop to work?

Also is there a way to log in as the root using the console?

Since I have a free version of the distrobution I selected...

version "2007 community"

architecture "x86_64"

package manager "urpmi"

... but the following two options are not available...

- main_updates

- contrib_updates

Does that matter?

You shall use 2007 official, the community version is for development AFAIK.

Ok. After downloading all of the correct repositories using the urpmi thing I wrote this into the console...

"urpmi dkms-ati"

the console then gave me the following reply.

-----------

One of the following packages is needed:

1- kernel-source-stripped-2.6.17.6mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.x86_64 : The source code of the Linux kernel stripped for post build (to in stall)

2- kernel-source-stripped-2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.x86_64 : The source code of the Linux kernel stripped for post build (to in stall)

3- kernel-tmb-source-2.6.17.13-4mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.x86_64 : The Linux source code for kernel-tmb-2.6.17.13-4mdv (to install)

4- kernel-linus-source-2.6.18.2-1mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.x86_64 : The source code for the Linux kernel (to install)

5- kernel-source-2.6.17.6mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.x86_64 : The source code for the Linux kernel (to install)

6- kernel-multimedia-source-2.6.17.13-3mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.x86_64 : The source code for the Linux kernel-multimedia-2.6.17.13-3md v (to install)

7- kernel-multimedia-source-stripped-2.6.17.13-3mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.x86_64 : The stripped source code for the Linux kernel-multim edia-2.6.17.13-3mdv (to install)

8- kernel-tmb-source-stripped-2.6.17.13-4mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.x86_64 : The stripped Linux source code for kernel-tmb-2.6.17.13-4md v (to install)

9- kernel-source-2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.x86_64 : The source code for the Linux kernel (to install)

10- kernel-linus-source-2.6.18.rc7.1mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.x86_64 : The source code for the Linux kernel (to install)

11- kernel-linus-source-stripped-2.6.18.rc7.1mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.x86_64 : The source code of the Linux kernel stripped for post b uild (to install)

12- kernel-linus-source-stripped-2.6.18.2-1mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.x86_64 : The source code of the Linux kernel stripped for post bui ld (to install)

What is your choice? (1-12)

-----------

What one do I choose? I haven't a clue what any of that means :D

Edited by aatwo

Nice one, hope it works. After it's downloaded and install, go into System/Configuration/Hardware/Harddrake, and then select the video card, and click the run config tool button. This should then say that it's found a proprietary driver for your card and do you wish to use it.

If not, you then need to open console window as root, and then run aticonfig to configure the card and reboot after.

I went into System/Configuration/Hardware/Harddrake and ran the config tool but it did not say anything about any new propietary drivers.

So I typed...

"aticonfig"

... into the console but it just told me that aticonfig needs to be invoked as perameters...

"Usage: aticonfig [OPTION] ...

Parses an existing X-Server configuration file and modifies it to operate with

ATI products.

The following command-line options can be invoked as parameters:"

... and then it gave me a long list of things. I tried restarting anyway but I still can't select the 3D desktop features from the control center.

Edited by aatwo

I typed what you last posted but got this.

"aticonfig: Writing to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' failed. No such file or directory.

No ATI fglrx device was found in the file: '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'.

Please run 'aticonfig --initial' or change the 'Driver' part of your configuration

file to "fglrx" and run aticonfig again."

----------

This file path was mentioned earlier in the console but I tried to find it to edit it manually but couldn't find it. The following is what the console told me but I do not have a session called XFdrake. Only one called Fdrake. I tried logging onto it anyway but it still said my system does not support 3D desktop effects.

-----------

"More information on package ati-8.28.8-3plf2007.0.x86_64

Follow the instructions below to reconfigure X to use the new ATI driver.

If you are upgrading from another ATI proprietary driver, reconfiguring is

unnecessary.

You can reconfigure X either automatically:

1. Run XFdrake as root.

2. Go to the Graphics Card list.

3. Select the "Radeon (fglrx)" (it is usually already autoselected).

4. Answer any questions asked and then quit.

OR you can do it manually by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

1. Change the Driver to "fglrx" in the Device section.

2. Run "update-alternatives --config gl_conf" and select ati.conf."

Edited by aatwo