GUI Bounces In & Out On Bootup

Guest vidrazor

Guest vidrazor

Hi folks, I just installed MD 2007 Free on an Acer AMD Athlon 64 3500 system. Details of the hardware can be seen here: http://tinyurl.com/y5d8oh

It's feeding a Nanao Flexcan F2-17EX monitor. I have it set up in a dual-boot config with XP Pro.

The installation went without a hitch, but when I try to boot into MD 2007, it starts the GUI, which immediately drops out and takes me to the command line. Moments later, it tries to load the GUI up again, only to repeat the process.

How can I change the GUI settings so it can default to the base 800x600 setting the install was set to, which was stable, until I can figure out what's going on here? I set to to 1024x768 @ 70hz inititally in the install.

I'm pretty raw to linux, so if someone can print out a command line sequence I can type in, it's greatly appreciated, as I'm going nowhere fast with this. As long as it's not trying to get back out to the disfunctional GUI, the system is taking command line instructions.

Thanks for any help with this.

guessing first that it dumps you into a command prompt at some stage.

then type the password

type mcc

This will bring up a config screen for you. you can then try different settings.

You should be able to then get a setting that at least starts to work.

looks nice a cool the system you just got a little like the one i just got.

I would update your Kernel as soon as possible to make sure it detects all the hardware correctly.

With mine i have to use a kernel from the cooker.

kernel-linus-2.6.19

with mine it only works with the latest kernel, since it is using all Nvidia components.

Nvidia Network 1Gb

Nvidia Video

Nvidia Sata II

Nvidia High Def Sound.

I would do this. Press CTRL-ALT-F1 to get a console prompt. Login as root with the password you supplied during install. Then do:

service dm stop
service xfs stop

this will stop the display trying to rerun itself when it's got a dodgy config. Then you can type:

mcc

at the prompt and then go into Display, and configure it again. I would suggest however, that when you're configuring, configure no more than 60Hz initially. Maybe your monitor doesn't support 70Hz.

Guest vidrazor

Thanks for your replies. I'll checkout MCC. I can boot from the failsafe mode and it doesn't attempt to load the GUI, so I'll do it from there.

The monitor easily handles 70 hz at 1024x768. The only reason I chose the 70 hz setting is because that's all the VESA setup allowed, I really wanted 75hz, which is my default on the Windows side.

Yes, it's a nice system, I got it at CircuitCity for $370. A great deal. I noticed they no longer list it on their site. That's not surprising, it must have sold out in no time.

Thanks again for your replies.

EDIT:

OK, I got the system up at 800x600, but once in KDE, I don't see how I can set the resolution AND the refresh rate. The only options I have are resolution and color depth. The install didn't recognize the sound card either, which is only identified as a Realtek HD Audio system on the Windows side.

I also don't see the COM port (or the parallel for that matter, even though I'm not using it), which has an external Creative ModemBlaster 56k modem attached. The hardware setup shows the internal Motorola modem, which apparently it didn't set up.

Here's how Windows sees the basic hardware setup:

scrngrab.png

Will it be possible to set the sound card up, or am I SOL on that? Also, my internet connection for the time being is dial up via AOL. Is there a way to log into AOL on Linux?

Thanks again for your replies.

Edited by vidrazor

I'd install the nvidia driver for your card, you'll have much more luck, Do:

urpmi dkms-nvidia

(make sure enter root with su and supply root password first) if that fails from the command prompt, you have to make sure your easyurpmi repos are set up. You need main/contrib/updates/plf-free/plf-nonfree.

The plf are important to get dkms-ati. Then you're done. If it asks about kernel-source, get the stripped one. If you're not sure what kernel you're running, type this first:

uname -r

and match the source to this.

Is there a way to log into AOL on Linux?

I have seen threads, but you will need to google

I am no fan of aol, and I have never seen any fan of them (must be looking in the wrong forum).

Possibly advising you to look for another provider

I don't see how I can set the resolution AND the refresh rate

right hand click on desktop then go to monitor/screensaver/desktop whatever it is called, then there is a drop down list with frequency, if you have no choice, then Most likely you are limited by the vesa driver