the painful OpenSuSE 10.2

fahd

My Story with OpenSuSE 10.2

I have been suffering for 3 days adjusting, editing OpenSuSE 10.2, of course hopelessly. As usual I knew very well that Novell and it's community will never make a good stuff for the Germeny-based (originally SuSE) product. Since Novell's real goal (as I guess ) is to support it's ZenWorks and the other NetWare products, but not to deploy SuSE. However, linux beginners may try Mandriva Linux, cause it is the only real linux distro which strives the ease-of-use and making the stuff usable.

I have been using linux since 1997, and I admit that I have never and ever seen an easy linux distro (especially for new bies) as Mandrake (Mandriva) Linux. I should add this remark, that Mandriva does not support the new chipsets as the other distros, but they make a less bleeding-edge stuff comparing with others (SuSE).

In general, as I have already mentioned in previous post, Mandriva Linux 2007 has made big disappointment for me when I could not install it on 4 computers containing i945GNT chipsets at our office. However I could install Mandy 2007 on the other computers (i865 chipsets). My colleagues are fully contented with it. Of course there are a lot of things that might have taken in consideration. At least I need not to set the grub (menu.lst), the PolicyKit, ulimit, fstab and dozen of settings to make SuSE usable.

The time has come to let people know that money is not enough to give us a good stuff. Community-based products are all bad. The money and the good management (of course a full-time seasoned dev. group is definitely required) is the main key of the success.Feeling responsibility is a good thing, but taking it is very difficult. Keep in mind that pay money for usable product is a natural thing. We should respect the work of dev. engineers. These people will never be a rich ones, but they wanna give you a less bleeding-edge stuff. Hence we pay for a good job. The community-based product idea is a big lie. Cause there is no responsibility, no full-time work, no money. The inspire to write codes is needed in such area, but not enough to make it vendible. Good luck for Mandriva Linux. Thanks a lot.

Fahd