Problems with my second HD... :|

Guest rinopilotino

Guest rinopilotino

Hi... I'm italian so I'm sorry for my bad english...

I've some problems with my second HD... in the first I've installed linux mandrake 9.0 and winzoz xp... the boot loader is lilo...

when i use linux i can't see and so use my second HD that is partitioned in fat32... this HD contains only files but i need them also in linux and not only in winzoz... what should I do???

please help me...

Federico

Post this file:

/etc/fstab

This is the configuration file for mounting all your hard drives/partitions. if you don't already have an entry for your missing hard drive, it can be easily created. Post back with the above info which is necessary to give you any meaningful help.

I think there is an Italian translator in this board.. Is there? It may be easier for you to write it in Italian in the Translate your post section of this board. The translator will then translate your problem then we can find the solution.

Guest rinopilotino

this is my fstab... the second hard drive (hdb) doesn't appear... the system at the sturtup sees it but doesn't read the partition...

/dev/hda2 / ext2 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codep

age=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,cod

epage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,co

depage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/nt ntfs iocharset=iso8859-15,ro,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0

please... help...

You need to have an entry for each partition that you have on hdb. I am assuming you have only one partion on hdb and it is a primary partion. In that case the partition will be hdb1. Entries in fstab generally have the following form:

<device file name> <mount point> <file system type> <options>

First thing you have to do is make a mount point for hdb1 in /mnt by doing the following:

$ su

<root password>

# cd /mnt

# mkdir win

Your new mount point is /mnt/win

Next, you have to create an entry for hdb1 in fstab. Open /etc/fstab as root in a text editor by doing the following:

# su

<root password>

# kedit /etc/fstab

A simple text editor called kedit that works just like a word processor will pop up with fstab displayed. Edit fstab by adding the following line:

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/win vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

Save the changes and close kedit. That should do it. If you reboot you should be able to read and write to hdb1 through /mnt/win. Actually, you don't have to reboot you can just run the following as root:

# mount /mnt/win

You should then be able to see the files on hdb1 by clicking on /mnt/win in konqueror.

goinf to try to help you...

first you'll have to create a directory in "/mnt" where you want to filesystem.

first try if the following wil work...ok, you know it is connected to hdb..You can do "cat /proc/partitions" and look for "part". See if the harddisk (you'll have to know if it is ide0 or ide1 or so...or by elimination) has other partitions(very likely) and choose to partition you want to mount. You'll maybe know a better method, please tell it then it is easier for me the nextr time :).

so do:

x is a number

mount -t vfat /dev/hdbx /mnt/directoryYouCreated

this works for me, but during install mandrake also added "iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0

I don''t know what this means, can anyone tell me?

Another thing, fat has no user,...for each file, so the filesystelm is onlu mounted for root. I haven't figured out how to mount it, so I can acces it as normal user, but I haven't figured out yet, probably something with the user-option, maybe something else can tell that...

I think I may have screwed up responding to your pm so in case you didn't get it, I'll repost here.

The error message that you got refers to "mnt/Documenti". I assume the english translation is "can't find mnt/Documenti in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab." If I'm wrong please let me know.

If you followed my instrucions you should have a directory in /mnt called 'Documenti". If it is not there create it with:

# mkdir /mnt/Documenti

Unless it's a typo, the error message indicates that you did not run the mount command correctly. It should be:

# mount /mnt/Documenti

not:

# mount mnt/Documenti

However, even if the mount command is wrong, your second hard drive should have been automatically mounted if you rebooted. You may want to post back your current fstab so I can see if anything is wrong there.

Another question. Did you have the second hard drive in your computer when you did the Mandrake install? If you did it should have been automatically detected. If it wasn't, something is very wrong. If you added the second hard drive later, linux would not autmaically detect and mount the drive without editing fstab.

A few things to try.

Mandrake has a nice graphical utility for looking at hard drives and partitions called diskdrake. To open up the program run the following as root:

# diskdrake

You should see a graphical display of your hard drives and partitions. There should be two tabs, one for hda and the other for your second hard drive, hdb. Diskdrake should see your second hard drive and its partitions even without any entry in fstab. If it you can't see the second hard drive in diskdrake, again something is very wrong. If you can see the drive check to see if it is "hdb". Click on the partition on hdb and in 'Details" check to see if the partiton is "hdb1". All this will verify that you have the right device file for the partition you are trying to mount..