Formatting Drive

oldnoob

I am about to reformat my external usb 250GB hard drive. It is currently fat32 so it could be accessed by windows, but that is not so much of an issue now. I was wondering if there were any advantages of using reiserfs as opposed to ext3, as I have read that reiserfs has unofficial support under windows.

Thanks

Such a large fat32 partition wasn't a good idea, anyway: No metadata and loads of slack space (due to inherent filesystem limitation) would bring you trouble sooner rather than later... and of course, files larger than 4GB had to be chunked to fit in.

If the disk is mainly aimed for storing large files I'd rather opt for ext3. Both ext3 and reiserfs 3.6 have (indirect) read support under windows.

You can also use ntfs. The new ntfs-3g driver has fast and reliable write support under linux, the only issue being that the free space is not reported correctly ATM.

Edited by scarecrow

Thanks, yes the 4GB limit has caused a few issues, but the drive contains mainly music and videos. The ntfs option is interesting, I will definately look into that.

You can also use ntfs. The new ntfs-3g driver has fast and reliable write support under linux, the only issue being that the free space is not reported correctly ATM.

How incorrect is the free space reported