PopUp

klemm

Stupid question but How I can display a popup message in another box.

Well I actually use Putty to connect to my Mandrake Box while myself working with my laptop (W2K) Sometimes I want to send a message that would popup in the middle of the screen to the user behind MandrakeBox.

Any hints

This may not be exactly what you want, but it will alert another user.

$ write username

The above command will display a message on the screen of any user on the same computer/server as you. The computer also beeps to alert the user there is a message.

However, I have no idea what is does if there is no console/terminal/Konsole window open.

The above command allows you to type whatever you want until you send it the EOF command - Ctrl-d

I might be confused about what you're looking for, but as far as fuzzylizard's question - it seems to me that you should be able to use xmessage or wmessage...

Are you looking for something like GnomeMeeting, where you could talk to them with Microsoft's NetMeeting?

http://www.gnomemeeting.org/

I don't think it can, actually, but I might be wrong.

Write would seem to be the way to go... I'd install netwrite on my system to get it.

sh-2.05b$ gaze what netwrite

This is netwrite for Linux.

Contents:

write           Program for quick messages to other people

(net-aware)

writed          Daemon for receiving write messages from other

Just out of curiosity, couldn't you just use an ICQ client or something like that?

Hmmmm the description says it will use Samba to send messages even to other Linux machines. And to send the message from your laptop, you'd use WinPopUp, wouldn't you? At least that's what the description says.

Ok, I just installed LinPopUp to test it, and it works fine both ways. Do you have this line in the Global:

message command = /usr/local/bin/LinPopUp "%f" "%m" %s; rm %s

(Change /usr/local/bin/LinPopUp to where LinPopUp is actually installed)

Open a terminal window on a machine that has the right to display to your mandrakebox. Then in this terminal window, execute

xmessage -display 10.0.0.10:0 ...other parameters...

where you replace 10.0.0.10 with the actual IP address of the MandrakeBox, and :0 with the actual display number (that's :0 most of the time).

That'll only work if you can display to the MandrakeBox display. If not, but you want it to be that way, then make it so that when a user logs (if runlevel 5) or X starts (if runlevel 3 or 5) in on the MandrakeBox, this command is executed:

xhosts +10.0.0.20

where you replace 10.0.0.20 with your IP address.

If you don't want to do the "xhosts" thing, but you can't currently display to the MandrakeBox, then the simple solution is to remotely login to the MandrakeBox, either via telnet, or better via ssh. Then execute the "xmessage" command above.

Yves.

That's interesting. The man page didn't say anything about specific X displays. Anyway, I just tried it locally by

startx -- :1

startx -- :2

and I was only able to send xmessages to the display that I sent them from - I experimented by trying as root, and even doing them as an at job. <shrug> Not saying it won't work, just isn't working for me.

As a local experiment, try to do that on each started display:

xhosts +LOCAL

which is equivalent to xhosts +any combination of IP/name and display that is considered local (localhost).

I know it works, because I did it once (from my laptop which is running XDMCP, to the main PC -server- 's display).

Yves.

• 2 weeks later...

you can also try to use:

smbclient -M NetBIOS name

This options allows you to send messages, using the "WinPopup" protocol, to another computer. Once a connection is established you then type your message, pressing ^D (control-D) to end.

this will work to send a message to :

- any NT4 / W2k station

- a W95/98 station with winpopup program running

- any samba client that is correctly configured ( see the message command parameter in the smb.conf for a description of how to handle incoming WinPopup messages in Samba).