Firewire [solved]

AussieJohn

Someone may be able to help me here.

I just did a reinstall of Mandriva2007. Previously, my Epson scanner setup and worked perfectly with firewire in 2007.

I have found what may be the cause in that the Firewire setup does not appear in KDE Control Centre ---> Peripherals as it did earlier.

Somewhere I think I may have missed a package during this current install but I can't think what it might be since I used the same saved floppy list of install packages selection. Nothing has been changed in the Bios or changes made to hardware.

John.

I received no interest in my request.

However the problem has been eliminated but the original cause is still not known.

I did a clean reinstall of 2007 but this time including reformatting the /home partition as well as / partition.

In fact I did not even have to set up the Scanner using MCC and this time the printer set up was quick. Previously the printer took a bit of fiddling to get right.

Also this time I downloaded all updates and packages not included in the DVD, before I did the printer and scanner routines.

Admins or Mods, you can close this thread as solved.

Cheers. John.

Just out of interest, did you use the same floppy again of saved packages for this install? Or did you just install without it? I'm curious myself, I don't have firewire, but certainly seems an odd problem that you came across.

If I ever get Firewire I might be able to offer my assistance in Firewire probs for the future.

Hi Ian. Did everything the same, using the same unaltered floppy disc and list of packages. The only thing different was reformatting the home partition as well this time(saved data earlier of course :D :D ) . Same DVD in same drive and so on. I also did all the resetting up of everything only AFTER downloading the updates and desired packages from Main and Contribs first.

It is amazing just how quickly one can reconfigure everything in a clean reinstall. It is so quick that I often include the home partition in reformatting. :thumbs:

Actually the whole previous install and the initial one, both seemed to be a bit flakey in ways I cannot really put into words but this install has the feel of being solid and stable. It has its annoying quirks which I will address in a new thread.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

It could have been the hidden .kde folder perhaps that had settings from the previous install that caused the issue with something being missing from the Control Centre.

Of course, after the clean install, you don't have this, and therefore, perhaps this might be why the problem resolved itself.

Even if I leave /home, I tend to rename my user folder and let a new one get created. Then I just move all my data across. For example, /home/ian becomes /home/ian.old and then when a new /home/ian is created, I just copy and paste my data :P

The rest is just config settings, that can easily be reset through the Control Centre such as Windows Borders, Wallpaper, etc, etc. To me this is such a minimal issue to get it back to how you had it.

I honestly think though, as you formatted /home, I'm sure it was down to previous KDE settings causing the issue.