Login repeats again and again... Help!

Guest floydfan

Guest floydfan

I am curretnly using mandriva 2007 with KDE. I logged in to my account one day, and i heard the same ol startup music thing and all the processes loaded. After that the music played again and all the processes were loaded again. There are multiple instances of all processes are loaded. This happenes over and over This is putting a great load on my system as would be expected. I have no idea how to get out of this annoying loop. Making me very frustrated. Any help would be greatly apreiated!!!!!

That is due to a broken kdmrc that belongs to kdebase.kdm package, but since you use kde i recommend you to upgrade to kde-3.5.5 available at MDE website (among many other rpms) that is stable with more fixes than cooker.

You can always the thread at MandrivaUsers.org > Advanced Topics > WorkBench > Mandriva Enhanced RPMs or just enter directly to www.mde.djura.org

have fun :)

Guest floydfan

Thanks for the quick reply mmodem! I have KDE3.5.4 installed now. I had Mandriva 2006 before but I upgraded to 2007 and i figured this would fix the problem. Ill try to upgrae to KDE3.5.5 to see if this solves the problem. Ill let you know what happens.

Guest floydfan

Ok. I installed KDE 3.5.5 from www.mde.djura.org. Now everything is messed up. When I try to login i am asked if I want to use 3d Desktop. Whatever I choose it tells me to reboot and restart X. This happens again. Ive also noticed other bugs like text not appearing correctly at the login. I could log in with other acounts I created like this guest acount I am on now. There is alot of bugs and weird things happining now. I dont want top do a clean install but im not sure if i have much choice. Alot is messed up now. Maybe I should completely uninstall all KDE components and do a clean install. I would like some pointers. I have been using linux for only 5 months now and when comming from windows as an expert and now being a noob is frustrating to say the least. Thanks for the help in advanced!

Ok. I installed KDE 3.5.5 from www.mde.djura.org. Now everything is messed up. When I try to login i am asked if I want to use 3d Desktop. Whatever I choose it tells me to reboot and restart X. This happens again. Ive also noticed other bugs like text not appearing correctly at the login. I could log in with other acounts I created like this guest acount I am on now. There is alot of bugs and weird things happining now. I dont want top do a clean install but im not sure if i have much choice. Alot is messed up now. Maybe I should completely uninstall all KDE components and do a clean install. I would like some pointers. I have been using linux for only 5 months now and when comming from windows as an expert and now being a noob is frustrating to say the least. Thanks for the help in advanced!

You must provide details, also when you enter in www.mde.djura.org in the install instructions we recommend to first uninstall kde to then install MDE kde to avoid any problem like doubled menus in toolbars (this use to happen when installing between versions, i.e.: 3.5.4 to 3.5.5) as ror the rest i dont know what you mean since so far i havent found any problem like the one you related, i also dont know if you have mnixed cooker rpms to official, we also say that plf-free, plf-nonfre, and contrib repos are neded.

How did you installed MDE?

You said that you have created a new account and things are fine, so seams yout kde old settings are causing problems, so backup your .kde folder and copy from there the files you need, like your mail messages, etc, and use your new account.

We also have an irc channel #MDE in server irc.freenode.net in wich you use to hang to give support.

All the other users that so far installed MDE didnt had any kind of problems.

Edited by mmodem