ntfs Sata drive mounting issue

Guest Eclypse

Guest Eclypse

Hi all

I've just recently switched over to linux (mandriva) and I've been working at compiling a kernal for myself. Everything seems to be in order but I cannot seem to get my SATA drive (with windows files (hence the ntfs)) to mount so I can get files from there.

I can get into the drive from the standard linux build that was installed, but not from my own compiled kernal.

When the kernal goes through and loads it says that it fails to 'supermount' and that /dev/sda1 is an invalid block drive

I've also tried to get it through ntfsmount, however then I get another error:

Error opening partition device: No such device or address

Failed to startup volume: No such device or address

Couldn't mount device '/dev/sda1' : No such device or address

Mount failed.

Like I said I'm new with linux, so it might be I'm missing something terribly obvious, or that I haven't given you guys all the information you need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Are you running Mandriva 2007? There are some problems with sata on 2007, maybe Mandriva 2006 would be better for you. Chances are there is no module for your card, or the module was updated, and buggy in the new kernel therefore causing your problem.

There's lots of guys with sata problems who've stayed with 2006 because of this so far as they never got it to work yet.

Guest Eclypse

I am running Mandriva 2007, however I do not think that to be the case.

I can access my SATA drive while running the preconfigured kernel that was installed with Mandrive originally, I am only running into problems with getting access to this drive while under my own compiled kernel (which leads me to believe I mixed up something in the kernel, though I can't seem to figure it out for the lfie of me)

Again, any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Eclypse

That was my first thought as well. I went through and made sure I checked everything I could think of relating to MS file systems and then went through all the controllers and found the ones my sata drives used... I dont think this to be the case. I am curious what other types of things it might be or if there is something real obvious I may be missing.

Thanks again for the continued thoughts!

Check with:

# lsmod

to make sure your ntfs and sata modules are loaded. The above should list all loaded modules. If not, run:

# modprobe <module name>

to load the module that's missing. You can run lsmod on the good kernel and compare the output you get on the non-functioning kernel to get some idea of what's going on.

From the error messages, I'm guessing it's a problem with the sata driver. You also need to have the scsi support compiled in the kernel and the scsi modules loaded(scsi-mod, sd_mod) for the sata driver(libata and the specific sata chipset driver) to load since sata uses the scsi protocol.

Also post what sata chipstet you have on your sata controller. I've seen reports of problems with SiS based sata controllers and some newer kernels.

Guest Eclypse

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm away on vacation and will get at them as soon as I get back, a lot of good ideas of things to look at.

Mainboard is Asus P5P800, as ot the other info I'll get that to you as soon as I can get back to my machine.

Thanks again gentleman (and ladies I guess). I'll try this stuff out soon as I get back. It really is much appreciated!