Can''t install proftp on Mandriva 2007 [solved]

lorisarvendu

I've recently done a vanilla install of Mandriva 2007. I decided to try and set up an ftp server, but proftp doesn't show up as an installable option in Software Management. When I installed Mandriva I chose the copy CDs to drive option, and I've even search the media folder and found no RPMs with proftp in the filename.

I've downloaded all the rpms I could find from a Mandriva 2007 mirror, but am unable to install these because each one I try won't install because it says it's missing dependencies, and then lists all the others (like proftp-mod-ldap, or proftp-anonymous).

Although I primarily use kde I am ok at command-line navigating and editing. Is there any file I can edit or view to see why proftp is not coming up as an installable option? It isn't installed either, as a locate search for "proftp" only shows modules listed under webmin.

You're doing it the wrong way. Click the easyurpmi link at the top of this page, and set up your repositories for main/contrib/updates/plf-free/plf-nonfree.

Then, when you have done this, you will be able to see proftpd in the list of packages, without having to download them manually, which is a bad bad bad idea. Mainly, because you cannot sort out the dependencies easily enough.

So, you can install in the gui which I think you're trying to do, or with a nice urpmi command:

urpmi proftpd

and it will do all the rest for you. Alternatively, once you have set up easyurpmi, you can do this:

urpmi drakwizard

which installs all the Mandriva Wizards, and then go to System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer, and in the Internet (I think) category, you can choose the wizard to install your ftp server.

You're doing it the wrong way. Click the easyurpmi link at the top of this page, and set up your repositories for main/contrib/updates/plf-free/plf-nonfree.

Then, when you have done this, you will be able to see proftpd in the list of packages, without having to download them manually, which is a bad bad bad idea. Mainly, because you cannot sort out the dependencies easily enough.

So, you can install in the gui which I think you're trying to do, or with a nice urpmi command:

urpmi proftpd

and it will do all the rest for you. Alternatively, once you have set up easyurpmi, you can do this:

urpmi drakwizard

which installs all the Mandriva Wizards, and then go to System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer, and in the Internet (I think) category, you can choose the wizard to install your ftp server.

Hi ianw1974

Thanks for that. Yes, easyurpmi worked splendidly. Although I am fairly comfortable in a console, I still get nervous when a process is whizzing past the screen and I don't quite know what it's doing. :D

The wizards section is actually in System/Configuration/Network Services, but despite successfully installing drakwizard, no ftp server option has appeared. However, a lot more options now appear in Software Management.

Urpmi proftpd worked fine too, thanks. Now I'm going to have to plough through user guides to get it configured the hard way!

I must say having been with Mandrake/Mandriva since about version 8, I'm not impressed with 2007. Although it's a lot more "user-friendly" than previous versions, a lot of things seem to be broken. Stuff like these problems with software management, and (as reported on a previous post here) the fact that the version of SWAT installed doesn't work. Oh and Mandriva's implementation of Webmin had some errors in it too - the modules for Bootup & Shutdown services, and Samba, weren't configured out of the box.

Or maybe it's just me. Oh, yes, and java's not enabled on it either.

I found 2006 was really good for me. Maybe 2007 will be better, I'm still using it to figure out what is working and not as I use it.

For me, I always use vsftpd instead of proftpd. I like this a lot, and seems much faster.

I found 2006 was really good for me. Maybe 2007 will be better, I'm still using it to figure out what is working and not as I use it.

For me, I always use vsftpd instead of proftpd. I like this a lot, and seems much faster.

Luckily Proftpd configured itself automatically exactly the way I wanted it, which was nice. I struggled a bit trying to figure how to get access to other folders (that weren't in my home dir), until I realised all I had to do was create a couple of symblic links. All working spankingly. Thanks for your help.

Hope you get on well with 2007. When all's said and done, mine's working fine for what I want (ftp & smb server), the niggling things have workarounds, and generally it seems a lot more stable and efficient than previous releases.

For proFTPd configuration, there are several solutions.

The hardcore one is vi- maybe best, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The other one is webmin and the proFTPd module- very convenient, especially if proFTPd runs on a headless machine, or a remote one.

And finally, if you can use a GUI, there is gproFTPd (available via urpmi, methinks), which is a rather good proFTPd administration GUI.

For proFTPd configuration, there are several solutions.

The hardcore one is vi- maybe best, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The other one is webmin and the proFTPd module- very convenient, especially if proFTPd runs on a headless machine, or a remote one.

And finally, if you can use a GUI, there is gproFTPd (available via urpmi, methinks), which is a rather good proFTPd administration GUI.

I used webmin, but I'll look for gproFTPd as I prefer guis. Not because I'm lazy (I'm a 44-yr old IT tech brought up on Dos), but because I like the pretty pictures!

Vi? Never got on with it. I use pico or nano.