RPM sources Thac, ze, plf etc...

sjaglin

Hi,

At the moment I have on my partitions :

-MDV2006 updated by Kiosk

-Cooker with main contrib debug and PLFs

-2007 32Bits with main contrib updates form official srces, plfs, beryl.

The 2006 is very stable and I will keep it this way. The cooker is cooker and therefore I don t mind if I have to repair it now and again. I would like to know:

- Can I add thac and ze on my 2007

-Is it useful?

-Will that make my system very unstable?

-Is that as risky as cooker?

Thanks, as always very basic stuff but I am quite basic...

Stef :P

I like stable, so I only use Mandriva stuff, never any third party repos in case something goes pear-shaped, or just plainly doesn't work.

It's each what everyone prefers. Take a look in the Mandriva Enhanced RPM's forum here, have a read, and see what you think. The repo information might even be there in some recent posts on how to add thac's/ze's rpm repos.

I also dare to say: none.

Mandriva is not a bleeding edge distro- if you want some sort of bleeding edge then Cooker is the "politically correct" solution, but then Cooker is often broken- maybe never BLR, but nevertheless broken.

If you feel that what Mandriva gives you is old and dull, then it may be the right time to explore another, more up-to-date, non-Mandriva based distro- or probably try PCLinuxOS, which is easily misinterpreted as Mandriva, but it's much more up-to-date, and (always IMHO) having packages of better quality. It's far from perfect, and has limited repos, but it's surely worth a try.

Thanks for the tips,

It s true that I am trying around a bit at the moment, I ll stick to Mandriva, I eventually managed to setup Beryl on my box with the new nvidia drivers and that really looks and work great.

I ll have a go at Gentoo as it looks quite good, tried Suse or susedows shall I say, tried knoppix and other stuff but not yet PClinux os, It's my next one then!

Stef