I'm sure it shouldn't be that swollen!

clevedonal

I am up and running (well limping at least) with my dual-drive/dual-boot, and sucessfully connecting, but i dont want no bad guys prying into my top secret info or remotely trashing my minutes of hard labour... i'll find guarddog and play with it (I have Zonealarm on my Windows install, and have reasonable confidence) - but any advice on (free!) Anti-Virus software? as i dont suppose my Mcafee7 pro for windows will work?

You don't need virus software on Linux distros, Mandrake included. Because open source is what it says, open, if one appeared, it would quickly be recognized and the information would be spread accross the net allowing changes to be made. A virus requires both a carrier and a spreader to have any significant impact. This is why Windows works so well as a virus carrier and spreader, with most viruses being carried and spread through email.

The main concern in Linux security are root exploits in which a user gains root access allowing unlimited access to the functions of the computer. There is a chkrootkit program available if you suspect that this has happened to you. No Windows software will perform any virus detection on Linux systems.

You can duplicate the main funtions of Zonealarm (which, incidentally phones home from the kernel level) by configuring Shorewall, one of two defaults firewalls installed with Mandrake. The other is msec. Shorewall is a bit daunting for new users and it is msec that you set when asked what security level you want during the install. You can change your Msec security level from the Security section of the Mandrake Control Center. Level 2 or Standard is the recommended setting for most users accessing the Internet only as a network service.

Counterspy

Thank you (again 8) ) Counterspy, I guess that means I have to keep up with pretty much each and every security update? I'll have a nose around in msec, and try to set it to 'standard' - is this likely to alter my internet connection? broadband via router (i had two pcs connected but only one at the moment - though this may well change, and my windows is configured through the router) and cable modem, hopefully protected in win98 mode by zonealarm...

I had trouble inserting 'smilies' while on this board using mandrake, though no probs in win mode.... is this 'normal' ?

It is something more complicated, but you can also install prelude if you want. It is additional to shorewall, like shorewall it works with the ip-tables of linux. What it does(from their websites).(It is additional to a firewall!):

2.5 What IDS can do ?

(by prole@subterrain.net)

* Monitor and analyze user, system, and network activity

* Audit system configurations and scan for vulnerabilities

* Assess data integrity of critical files

* Recognize indications of known attacks

* Recognize abnormal activity

* Manage audit trails and assist in analysis

But it is something more complicated...you can always visit their website if you want:

http://www.prelude-ids.org