CPU running above the threshold temperature

Guest silin

I just installed Mandrakelinux 10.1 Official on my Toshiba Satellite laptop. Everything works great, but when I open the GNOME terminal it keeps saying:

Message from syslogd@localhost at {today's date}

localhost kernel: CPU0: Temperature above threshold

localhost kernel: CPU0: Running in modulated clock mode

Is it dangerous to the computer? Should anything be done about it?

Could be dangerous, under circumstances- not necessarily something being toasted, but having random hard resets.

Which kind of CPU it is? Socket 478 P4's and Prescotts are (in)famous for their "hot" attitude, while if you encounter that on a laptop-specific CPU (Intel Centrino or AMD Turion) then something is really malfunctioning...

Which kind of CPU it is?

I have a Celeron processor. Could this issue be really dangerous for the hard drive too? Yesterday I tried to reinstall windoes on a separate partition from an image and didn't work because of some errors on the disk as it said. Is there a way to check a FAT or NTFS partition for errors in Linux?

I just installed Mandrakelinux 10.1 Official on my Toshiba Satellite laptop. Everything works great, but when I open the GNOME terminal it keeps saying:

localhost kernel: CPU0: Temperature above threshold

localhost kernel: CPU0: Running in modulated clock mode

Is it dangerous to the computer? Should anything be done about it?

Are you sure it's the cpu overheating and not just a kernel conflict with your temp sensors? Some modern bios's have live temp readings available from the bios menu (mine does). Were you having this problem with any other operating system? Try looking at your bios first and if there isn't a temp readout try booting to a knoppix or other (different than mandriva) live cd and see if you get them same messages. Also note your kernel version for each system you boot to and try and test different kernel versions. If one of these options shows no temp issue you know it's an installation or kernel issue (and therefore fixable). If they ALL show the same problem, well then you know it's a hardware problem.

p.s. If it IS a hardware problem, and you're under warranty - restore your windows system and verify the temp problem there. I have yet to find a vendor willing to admit ANY problem with their hardware when it's running linux. [rant]HP told me the fact that my volume down button froze in the closed position on my laptop was a linux issue and I'd have to re-install windows to fix it. Yeah right! There is little more irritating than so-called "tech support" when they obviously have no clue what they're talking about [/rant]

• 7 years later...
Guest RoofRabbit

I didn't see the message about the temperature just a LOT of the modulated clock mode messages until I read this thread. Scrolled up in the log file and found the temperature message "CPU running above the threshold temperature". I'd just added a case fan to cool the hard drives and it's power cable got stuck in the cpu fan. Moved the cable and all's fine now. I might not have found it so quick if not for this thread since I had no idea what the modulated clock mode meant.

Thanks Guys!