isa pnp

Michel

ISA is a bus standard for onboard slots that support devices like modems that plug into the motherboard. It is now superceded by the PCI bus standard and has for the most part disappeared except on older motherboards. PNP is Plug and Play, a Microsoft/Intel invention that allows devices to be identified as soon as they are plugged in to the motherboard. Put ISA and PCI together and you get ISAPNP or PCIPNP. ISA was supported to allow legacy devices to be used, principally sound cards and modems. My motherboard is four years old and has two ISA slots and four PCI slots. I still use a 56K modem along side my PCI ethernet card for high speed internet. I For reasons I have never bothered to pay attention to, it is recommended that PNP be disabled in the BIOS for Linux installations. IIRC a new standard is intended to replace PCI to increase the speed of bus access as processors get faster and faster, making all PCI cards obsolete.

Counterspy

ISA Slots are pretty damn good.

Back before broadband :) I had a 56K ISA modem which I honestly believe is better than any PCI modem I've ever seen.

It worked (still works) with any Linux Distro I threw at it. I used to wonder what all the fuss about winmodems was. Ah those were the days. About 4 years ago!

On my last ABIT mobo there was an ISA slot but if you had no devices you could disable it in the BIOS. Maybe you can do the same.