Configuring Smart in 2007

Gul Dukat

Hi,

I've been using Mandriva 2007 now, ever since it came out. At the moment I'm trying to configure Smart for Mandriva 2007. At this moment I've installed Smart and it's gui, but to my surprise it only has sources from Cooker. :o These are the sources:

- Cooker

- Cooker-contrib

- Cooker-jpackage

- Rpm-sys

I haven't done an "smart upgrade" because I ain't planning on mixing Cooker with official packages. I've installed Smart with urpmi. I hope some of you have an idea on how to add regular sources for Smart or shed some light on the Smart subject. I would very much appreciate it.

By the way, I wanted to try Smart with Mandriva, because I'm very pleased with it's performance on SuSE 10.0/10.1.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've got the code to use for adding sources to Smart but this useless urpmi tool cannot find any software called Smart (except for smartmontools, which I now have installed whether I want it or not, thanks to urpmi).

How do I get Smart?

I think I may have reached the end of my tether with Mandriva. It cannot install Bittorrent of all things because something called "python-twisted-web" is not available. Why bother releasing an OS which cannot carry bittorrent?

Thanks for your reply Dexter,

but I'm afraid smart-urpmi doesn't ring a bell. Can't seem to find in the sources of urpmi either. Can you a elaborate some more on that?

Thanks in advance.

On the first page choose your language, arch and release. Go to the next page and choose the mirrors to all the repos. On the bottom of this page there is a combo box with urpmi written in it. Change it to smart. Finish the process and it will give you the commands for adding repos for smart.

I've got the code to use for adding sources to Smart but this useless urpmi tool cannot find any software called Smart (except for smartmontools, which I now have installed whether I want it or not, thanks to urpmi).

How do I get Smart?

I think I may have reached the end of my tether with Mandriva. It cannot install Bittorrent of all things because something called "python-twisted-web" is not available. Why bother releasing an OS which cannot carry bittorrent?

Smart is in contrib and I think it's not on the CDs\DVD. To install it with urpmi you need to add sources to urpmi first or download the packages directly. Once smart is installed you add repos to smart then.

Smart is in contrib and I think it's not on the CDs\DVD. To install it with urpmi you need to add sources to urpmi first or download the packages directly.

Thanks, dexter11. I've already done all that, of course. Urpmi could not find smart.

I've now looked in a mirror using the browser and I can find it, so I do not understand why urpmi can't. Ah, well. I may wait until bittorrent becomes available on 2007, anyway. A kde application which I use a lot is broken as well. :zzz:

Smart is in contrib and I think it's not on the CDs\DVD. To install it with urpmi you need to add sources to urpmi first or download the packages directly.

Thanks, dexter11. I've already done all that, of course. Urpmi could not find smart.

I've now looked in a mirror using the browser and I can find it, so I do not understand why urpmi can't. Ah, well. I may wait until bittorrent becomes available on 2007, anyway. A kde application which I use a lot is broken as well. :zzz:

Are you sure urpmi cannot find smart? or is it rpmdrake/mcc that can't find it?

Take a look here .

but I'm afraid smart-urpmi doesn't ring a bell. Can't seem to find in the sources of urpmi either. Can you a elaborate some more on that?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe I misunderstood before. So if you don't know where it is, it's here: http://mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi

It works better than easyurpmi at the moment IMHO.

Are you sure urpmi cannot find smart? or is it rpmdrake/mcc that can't find it?

Thanks, Mhn. Now that you mention it, neither can find smart.

I'm going to boot to 2007 again to check on something else, so I'll try running urpmi just with contrib (if that's possible) and perhaps try any other tricks I can think of.

Can anyone suggest some switches and procedures I could use? I've tried --fuzzy, --auto, --more-choices and --test (I added the last after urpmi installed smartmontools when I tried to install smart).

I am very disappointed with Mandriva 2007, especially after the favourable reviews. It's probably going to be some time next year before it's fit to use. I'm still not persuaded that a financial outlay of the magnitude sought by Mandy is worth making for, in effect, about 6 months' optimum use.

Thanks in advance.

On the first page choose your language, arch and release. Go to the next page and choose the mirrors to all the repos. On the bottom of this page there is a combo box with urpmi written in it. Change it to smart. Finish the process and it will give you the commands for adding repos for smart.

Thanks Dexter. I've now added the smart-sources and idsabled the Cooker-sources. All looks good. Just one other question. I've added other sources to my urpmi-config, mainly those in Belgium and the Netherlands. Would I be able to add those ones instead of the ones I've selected now, which are Germany and Sweden?