How do I mount a Windows Hard drive?

bigbluec

You can check their filesystem type in Mandriva Control Center, there is a section for partitions (I forget exactly where) that will show you all your drives and if you click on them will tell you what the filesystem is.

Now here's the stinker. Linux can only write to fat32. It can read NTFS, but it can't write to it (safely, anyways) because MS doesn't publish any information about using NTFS, it's all proprietary, and so far Linux hackers (in the proper sense of the word, not "crackers") haven't been able to come up with a safe way of writing to it (but they're still working on it).

Linux can now write to NTFS as well- without any serious risk, via the ntfs-3g lufs module. I have been using it since last June and never ever had any major or minor disaster, even when moving very large files ( >8 GB). The only issue with that driver is that the free space in the NTFS partition is not reported correctly, so you won't know how full it is (the old, read-only NTFS driver does report it correctly).

I do not know if you can call that driver "safe" or not- but for me, it *is* safe, as nothing terribly bad will happen, even if you accidentally fill the ntfs partition to the brim.

I clicked on the windows partition, then I put in a mount point "usr/windows" and then I mounted it.

Now in devices it shows my 80G IDE hard drive but I cant access it.

It says "cannot enter folder"

I must have done something wrong ..................

Here is another question ...........can I some how do something in windows so that I can see my Linux hard drive ?

I just need to move my files that is on my windows hard drive over to my linux hard drive.

Edited by bigbluec

Go back into MCC and this time set the mountpoint to simply /windows and not to usr/windows

then click mount and to question as to save settings to fstab click yes.

Think you will have better success.

Cheers. John.

Thanks, did that but still the same problem ............ "Could not enter folder /windows"

You should have a line in your /etc/fstab looking like

/dev/sda7 /windows ntfs defaults 0 0

(replace sda7 with the actual partition number).

If you want that partition to be fully accessible by your current user, set a user id for that one:

/dev/sda7 /windows ntfs uid=1000,defaults 0 0

Edited by scarecrow

You should have a line in your /etc/fstab looking like

/dev/sda7 /windows ntfs defaults 0 0

(replace sda7 with the actual partition number).

If you want that partition to be fully accessible by your current user, set a user id for that one:

/dev/sda7 /windows ntfs uid=1000,defaults 0 0

It does not give me the option to change the actual partition number, it only ask if I want to save ot not.

• 6 months later...

Go to:

http://easylinux.info/wiki/Mandriva#General_Notes

Scroll up to "9 Windows" under the contents section, and it will give you some advice about mounting partitions. Good luck with writing to your windows hard drive, I haven't been game to do that with ntfs. Mounting has worked fine though.