Mandriva Linux Users Club

bigbluec

Thanks for all the input ............ from what I have been reading I will not join the club, but I might buy the full powerpack at a later stage simply becasue it is supporting the guys that put in tons of hours of work and I will gladly rather pay the $50 for Mandriva than the $200 for Windows XP.

Thanks for all the input ............ from what I have been reading I will not join the club, but I might buy the full powerpack at a later stage simply becasue it is supporting the guys that put in tons of hours of work and I will gladly rather pay the $50 for Mandriva than the $200 for Windows XP.

It will include a month or two of free support and club membership anyway. It should be enough for you to make up your mind.

You can start with Kanotix...

Nah, I don't think so. Kanotix is a last stand, not a first one. You have first to toy with a lot of other distros to understand why Kanotix is a special one- as most nice things about it are under the skin, and it's not really a Mepis-style "hey-I'm-dumb-but-I-can-run-Linux" distro...

PCLInuxOS is indeed a very good start for newbies, for sure- but not Kanotix... factly if Arch Linux didn't exist I'd be using right now either Kanotix or Zenwalk.

Honestly it depends on your level.....

Ive given kanotix to several computer illiterates .. you stick in the CD, install and the whole process takes 15 mins... set up the printer etc. and then remove half the stuff from the menu's (or I just stick it in more...) and after installing M-Media stuff they are running linux.

Pretty much EVERYTHING works from the install... if what you want is to use linux... you have OO, mail clients etc.

The next step is the big one.... which is where mandriva is good...

Kanotix is great for setting up the essentials, ndiswrapper etc if needed and if you have a common machine (nvidia or ati) its all pretty much done ... if you want to go further that's when the learning curve kicks in.

Mandriva does far more hand holding over the next stage.... but at a cost.

Largely if you use the wizards then mostly you won't learn much but you do expand functionality whereas for Kanotix if you want to go further your basically in Debian...and steep learning curve...

At this point I'd say ... hey install mandriva and do the next step...

then after a while the wizards start messing stuff up and its time to look for a distro that doesn't hide so much or become a fanboy and make the next big step in mandriva...

All these are valid.... there is a point at which each is more suitable depending on person.

Many n00bs sucessfully install gentoo.... Im sure they learn far more and far quicker than someone installing Mandriva...

Its like languages... the fastest way is total immersion.... so long as you have the time/inclination/energy

Technically, at least in countries with (possibly too strict) IP laws and licensing fees, using a tool to crack these encryption algorithms is a violation of the law (as is playing a DVD that's not encoded for your region). Although I doubt anyone will get charged, some people may like the warm fuzzy feeling they get when they know they are doing it legally.

Well here's the funny thing....

Certainly under UK law region encoding is illegal as is cracking it....

If this wasn't technology there is no way that region encoded DVD's could be sold in the UK...

If you tried to introduce a car that only ran on GM "special" fuel and needed GM special oil etc. you would be in front of the monopolies commision in short time. If you actually stopped the car working until you replaced the fuel with one with say a signature that unlocks the car the company would be commiting criminal damage. They can recommend a fuel all they want and possibly they can make the petrol cap only take GM keyed pumps... but they can't stop you changing the pump and they can't bind you to a contract that says you can't... (if the car is leased thats another story)

France passed a law banning iTunes until apple provide a mechanism to use downloaded content on the player of your choice for instance.

The matter of legality is somewhat perverted when the "crack" is to bypass something that is illegal in the first place ... so whereby technically its illegal to crack the codes the use of the codes in the forst place is illegal.

These are just examples really... it depends on location and I can name at least 50 countires where copyright is illegal in itself.

If you consider DVD playing its a complete mess. In France it is impossible to SELL your IP.... IP is personal and you can't sign a valid contract that transfers your IP to someone else... so for example a musician cannot be forced to sign a 5 record contract giving the record company their IP....

A record company taking royalties on this IP is OK but you can't have the UK/US type contract where the record company owns everything you think, write etc. until they say so....

Again this is a bit dated ... just like the DVD stuff in the US/UK.... because laws designed for other things are being used wholy inapplicably. The French law discourages commercial software since the software house cannot own the code lock stock and barrel. Im sure Duval will be exploiting this..

Non of these is perfect... the problem is non of them actually fit together and the bottom line is big money talks so it always comes down on the side of the corporations.

So technically in many places actually implementing region codes and css are actually illegal and equally cracking them is illegal... so technically its illegal to sell a region encoded DVD player in many places.. and by extension illegal to use one... but its equally illegal to unlock it???

Unfortunately .... its blame soneone else time.... the DVD player makers say its the DVD's whch are encrypted - the DVD disk sellers say its the player that's crippled. The fact its the same people selling both seems to be largely academic :D

Yes. I support the concept of paying people for working. And there is nothing wrong with people expecting to be paid for their work. Buying a Mandriva box (or any commercial distro) is perfectly acceptable, especially if we all want to see Linux continue to improve. If we truly lived in a Utopian world where there was no hunger and no bills, that would be different, wouldn't it? cool.gif

However, I expect something for paying. And if I am promised something in exchange for my payment, I expect to receive what is promised. And that is the issue with Mandriva. They do not (at least with me) deliver what they promise. Also, implying that add-on software is only available thru them is a lie. Any add-on can be gotten--- generally for free.

So, buy it to support the software development. But do not expect anything else for your money. A while back, Mandriva chose to try to make money on what was already working without money. They are not good at support. Their business model is focused on the wrong aspect of the enterprise. That is being realistic.

Before anyone gets too upset, I think that there are several employees at Mandriva that do a fine job. And they have improved as a result. But their model is still going to fail in the long run because they refuse to focus on marketing and distribution

That pretty much sums up what I feel....

A long while ago I bought the powerpack.... it said on the box "plays all your DVD's" ...

It doesn't.... simple as that. Yes it can.... with plf or just downloading the code yourself and its not deliberatly crippled like Suse so that Xine is hard coded not to accept the libdvdcss.... but its a lie.

In particular for the reasons above....the same goes for the download editions "reason" they can't include nvidia or ati drivers ...

Its basically dishonest.... I have no problem them saying "we only include them in the powerpack to encourage you to buy it...." I do have problems pretending its for legal reasons....

back on iPod's ... a long time ago I got my archos MM player.... very cool except.... they refuse to replace the proprietry battery... after my battery died I tried getting a new one...

they started off saying it was illegal to post through the mail which was total BS.... they actually sell batteries for other models on their site. I then went through 20 or so emails just asking if I could buy a battery... I offfered to collect it by hand.... so they changed the reason... only possible to be changed by experienced technicians... again total BS.... its two screws and it slides out....??

The bottom line I guess.. they want you to buy the news model.... so they don't sell batteries... and those they have are only replaced under warranty....

Why not just say this????