Install without cd or dvd drive?

Guest Rick

Hi,

I have a dilemma. I need to install LE2007 but I don't have a working cd/dvd drive on the computer I wish to install to. I've downloaded the DVD as an iso thinking I could somehow mount it across the network, but I'm stuck. I do have another computer on my network that does have a working dvd drive. Would it be possible to use that to install from? What options do I have?

By the way, I don't think the old PIII supports network booting... I'll need to explore that.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks,

Rick

Welcome to the MUB B)

Does the computer you want to install Mandriva on have a floppy drive? If so, have a look here: http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/KB/NetworkInstall

I have no experience with this, but it is a place to start.

Also, there is no such thing as LE2007. It is simply Mandriva 2007. The last limited edition was LE2005, which was the same as Mandrake 10.2.

If you have another machine you can do it over ftp, but it would require you burning a CD or making a floppy bootable so that you can then connect to the ftp to run the installer.

Mounting the iso in Linux is easy, just do:

mkdir /mnt/iso
mount -o loop /home/username/filename.iso /mnt/iso

then you can set up ftp on the Linux machine and make sure that /mnt/iso is accessible. You can always connect to the Linux machine using your username/password so as to save working out anonymous access rights, etc, etc. Then you can just browse to /mnt/iso after this and the rest will take place.

If in Windows, you need to install an app for mounting ISO images and it creates a VirtualCD drive that you can mount the ISO too. Then you can apply the same principals by installing FTP under Windows and making sure the Virtual CD-ROM is accessible to run the install from.

However, you still need a floppy drive or CD-ROM in the machine to boot and be able to connect. Most distros now only provide a 10MB or so CD ISO image that you can write and install from.

Maybe someone else can suggest another method if you really cannot get a CD drive in this machine.

However, you still need a floppy drive or CD-ROM in the machine to boot and be able to connect. Most distros now only provide a 10MB or so CD ISO image that you can write and install from.

Maybe someone else can suggest another method if you really cannot get a CD drive in this machine.

You can also boot from a usb-stick (if the machine supports it)