Video Problem; Software? Hardware?

Pepse

I am not positive this is a software problem but here goes. I am running Mandriva 2006 Power Pack. About 3 weeks ago I downloaded a game, Powermanga. Well I started having video lockup problems after the 3rd time I played it. The game would slow down and freeze. I posted here but never got a good answer except to try going to the game through a Konsole instead of the "link to" icon I put on the KDE desktop. I got no errors playing it that way. Worked great until this morning, then it started slowing down but, I was able to exit the game. I went online and things are bad there too. Pages load very slow. So, I went to Gnome to see if it would be different. Nope, same thing. So I went back to KDE and went to a konsole and brought up GLXGEARS. It was running good, bad, good, bad; and the FPS would start out good, then drop in half then speed back up, then drop back down, and so on, and so on. Well, I shut down and went to work, came home and fired up the computer, and went to GLXGEARS and it is terrible. Like 5 frames in 5 sec, then 4 frames in 6.1 seconds, and so on. I didn't have any problems like this with Mandriva 2005 Power pack. I have an nVidia chipped 256 meg video card, 512 megs of DDR 400 FSB ram, a 1.3 Ghz AMD CPU. The only thing I changed in the last month is the upgrade to MDRV 2006. I am posting this through my win xp hard drive and I am not sure if the problem exists here because I don't know what tools are available to check the video performance in windows.

Later Pepse.

Have you applied any updates to the Mandriva 2006 system?

Some people had problems when the default system had been installed, because of the cvs version of xorg. Updates fixed a lot of these problems.

No, I haven't done any updates yet. So, when I get home tonight I will at least get the Xorg update. I have dial-up and things are a bit slow, but I will go for it. I will post after the update, whether it works or I still have a problem.

Later. Pepse.