Upgrading to KDE 3.1

phunni

I've tried a couple of times to upgrade to KDE 3.1 - mainly for the libraries that programs use as I actually use fluxbox as my WM

Now that I have all of the mandrake specific rpms from the Linux Format DVD - I'm finnaly keen to get it sorted.

My problem is dependencies. When I try to install the rpms - I get loads of failed dependencies, but when I try to resolve these dependencies with rpms downloaded from rpmfind.net - I get loads of conflicts.

How do I upgrade to KDE 3.1? I guess a few people have done this - any tips?

This is a problem that there is no way around except to look for the failed dependencies and install them. I used Texstar's version and I use rpmfind for dependencies. Be careful with cooker versions if you do this because Mandrakesoft is using glibc 2.3 and some may not work in 9.0. Look at the other sites on PCLinuxonline such as PLF which sometimes have them as well as what may or may not be on Texstar's download site. Use the apt directory with Texstar as well. Now if you're not totally confused, you can get on with it or forget about it.

Counterspy

Did you think of removing the old KDE first ???

Must admit I didn't - wouldn't I get loads of dependency problems with doing this?

Counterspy - I was quite confused, but I'll trawl through what you said and figure it out at somne point when I have more energy :)

Make sure KDE is not running when you try the install. I have have never removed the old kde first, but if you do, rename the hidden .kde file in your home directory to .kdeold and the rename it back to .kde to preserve your settings after 3.1 is installed. This would also be true for other users home directories since they may not be the same settings as yours.

Counterspy

If you truly have all of the rpm's, and you do not like to deal with depends, then you should remove kde and reinstall. I also have a list of programs that kde will take with it that must be reinstalled as well. I have another wm installed in case I have a depend problem while I am playing with the system. If you put all of the new rpm's into a directory, you can:

Boot into text mode. Do not even launch x.

su to root and type urpme kde

It will warn you about all of the other programs being removed. Make a list. Or spend three weeks discovering what is missing.

cd to the directory you placed all the kde rpm's.

Type urpmi *.rpm

Urpmi will warn you if there are failed dependencies. Use the other wm to get the rpm's, unless you are a command line guy. After installing, start putting the programs back in that were pulled because of kde. If the old rpm's do not work, you will have to get updates. That is what depends are all about. I have noticed that the Xft stuff is not happy with 9.1RC2, but I had kde 3.1 running in 9.0 with no problems before.

I do not rename my .kde stuff unless I run into a problem, which only happened once in the past two years.