Thunderbird

Guest brandnwtolinux

I am completely new to linux, could someone please tell me how to install Thunderbird, it would be greatly appreciated

You can download the latest Thunderbird.tar.gz package from Mozilla and than untar it to a system folder or your home folder. I installed my copy in /usr/lib/thunderbird.

To untar the package use your terminal:

- type 'su' to become root

type 'konqueror' or 'nautilus' (depending on what you prefer Gnome or KDE) to open the filemanager as a super user

- navigate to thunderbird.tar.gz and right-lick on it

- choose to open the file in default packaging program and then untar it to a desired location.

tar.gz FAQ page

I'm not sure, but maybe Mandriva has Thunderbird in its repositories, so you may try to install it by using urpmi:

- open the terminal, type 'su'

- type 'urpmi thunderbird'

urpmi FAQ

Good luck!

P.S. since you are new, you have to add some mirrors to your urpmi so you can download extra software.

Follow this how-to:

How to add urpmi mirrors

Edited by ilia_kr

su -c "urpmi mozilla-thunderbird" in a console window sounds like a good start.

Notice that Thunderbird also has precompiled language and Enigmail modules, if you need them.

Of course before doing that you have to follow the "easyurpmi" link on the top of this site, and follow the instructions. Mandriva sans urpmi repositories is like a cheespie without cheese.