2006 upgrade to kde 3.5.4 broken

oshunluvr

I tried to upgrage to 3.5.4 on my 2006 installation using the Seer-of-Souls rpm's and had lots of issues. I have now donwgraded back to 3.4.2.

Anyone else been able to get 3.5.4 working alright?

Some of my problems are the same as I am having with my 2007 install which means maybe kde 3.5.4 is the culprit. These include kdetv locking up, crashing, and causing ksysguard and various "drakes" to fail.

One problem unique to 2006 was the package "libkdec1" was used in 3.4.2 but wasn't available for 3.5.4, although some dependancies tried to install it - which failed because of other file incompatabilities.

I found other kde3.5.4 rpms at http://rpm.nyvalls.se but I haven't had the time to attempt the upgrade.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

1. There will never be KDE 3.5.4 for Mandriva 2006. The SoS and MDE repos are unofficial, and thou should use them at your own risk.

2. libkdec1 is part of the kdebindings package group, and may or may not be compiled as a separate package- it depends on the package policy of the distribution and/or the packager. That is, it is not explicitly needed to be present as a separate package.

3. KDE 3.5.4 worked great here, and the same applies for the new KDE 3.5.5 -minus some "easily" fixable dbus annoyances, which aren't really KDE-related, but notice it's official "stable" packages, and it's not Mandriva. So it *might* be the SoS packages the ones to blame, but not 3.5.4 itself.

Edited by scarecrow

As many people knows im a MDE developer and im here to ensure that the MDE kde packages are very stable, but for mandriva 2006 i have stoped doing any rpms, so the last kde for 2006 was kde-3.5.4.

Now for Mandriva 2007 i have already released kde-3.5.5 and other stuff that is also stable.

Now regarding sos, for that i prefer not to say much, since those are just only cooker rpms build for mandriva 2006 without any fixes, improvementes and updates, but just ask about it and you will hear how "good" they are.

If your a mandriva club member, they have a service called "kiosk" which has kde 3.5.4 rpms. The autoupdate through kiosk to kde 3.5.4 worked very well for me. Here's the kiosk website to give you an idea of what's available:

http://kiosk.mandriva.com/

Still dont understand why are you telling me this, since we use to build more updated and with more fixes comparing with mandriva (kiosk orcooker).

For example im building now a new kde-3.5.5 release that is already public at MDE website -> www.mde.djura.org

Edited by mmodem