Nvidia Problems?...

MadHattr

I Just installed mandrake on a computer of mine with a geforce 4 ti 4200 in it and i downloaded the nvidia drivers and such, but when i went to install the NVIDIA_kernel i got this error?

modprobe: Can't locate module nvidia

Failed to install nvidia.o

error: execution of %post scriptlet from NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.mdk90smp failed, exit status 1

Ive never had this problem before? and im not sure if either im doing something wrong or if there is something im not aware of that is diffrent on my computer??

On top of that when i go to install the GLX rpm i get this error?

--- WARNING!!

libglx.a

libGLcore.a

libGL.so.1.2

--- The above file(s) possibly belong to a conflicting MESA rpm,

--- or to a previous stale NVIDIA distribution.

--- They have been renamed to xxx.<originalFile>.RPMSAVE to

--- avoid conflicting with the files contained within this

--- package.

--- Please see the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS section of

--- /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for more details.

im not sure what the second error means and ive installed my nvidia drivers succesfully dozens of times? does anyone know what might be wrong?

i talked to some people in #nvidia on freenode and i found that i have some mesa ? glx thing installed??? i tryed removing it and it says its dependent on XF86 rpmdrake and a bunch of other programs? im not sure WHY? it is installed it never was installed before i cant get my nvidia drivers working at all and none of this make sence seeing as EVERY other time i have installed mandrake 9 even on the same computer im installing it on right now i have never had this problem and it has never installed this mesa glx stuff???

- :evil::evil: :x :x :x

Guest joehill

don't bother with that line of bull.. when you install the nvidia drivers the mesa links are dealt with.

I am more curious about the files you downloaded:

NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.mdk90smp

that looks like it is intended for smp systems only, ie. dual processor system, which is why I asked about that above.

joehill is right about the second error...I don't have mesa anything installed and it says that for me, and for everyone because they're part of

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ urpmf libGLcore.a 

XFree86-server:/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ urpmf libGL.so.1.2 

XFree86-libs:/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ urpmf libglx.a     

XFree86-server:/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a

fpc:/usr/lib/fpc/1.0.4/units/linux/libglx.a

[bvc@localhost bvc]$

If you have a smp sys then re-download....maybe the NVIDIA-kernel is corrupt. If not get the correct rpm's.

If you have anything mesa you can probably leave it installed. If it's not dependent on anyhting else you want (games,screensavers) you can uninstall it with

rpm -e --nodeps Mesa-demos-xxxxx.rpm

or whatever it is, to get past rpmdrake or urpme. Don't do this to XFree86-server though.

don't bother with that line of bull.. when you install the nvidia drivers the mesa links are dealt with.

I am more curious about the files you downloaded:

NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.mdk90smp

that looks like it is intended for smp systems only, ie. dual processor system, which is why I asked about that above.

are you serious??? hmmm this is weird seing as the NCcheck.sh script i got off nvidias website told me to download those files.... iall try and find the right one, this was most likely the problem

Guest joehill

btw, what ver of mandrake are you using? i would try getting the src rpms and building from that. You could even follow DOlson's tutorial, he seems to enjoy all the hits on his site.