Mandriva 2007 freezes except for the mouse

Mark R.

I did a fresh install of Mandriva 2007. That worked just fine, but several times today, it just froze. I could still use the mouse, but couldn't click on anything with it. Is there a keyboard shortcut like CTRL-ALT-DEL for linux. I am trying to find out what process is freezing, or maybe the kernel is buggy. I hope not. I really like the new Mandriva so far.

In KDE you have the skull and cross bones which kills what you click on ctrl-alt-esc

also you have ctrl-esc which brings up a process table which you can then kill a task..

they may be slow if the computer has "Locked up" i have an old app which sometimes runs away and i have to kill it using these methods even if it is slow..

the other option is change console ctrl-alt-f1 and then log in here and find out what is happening elsewhere..

If neddie's tip doesn't work, you can do this. Press CTRL-ALT-F1 as michaelcole says, then login as root and enter the appropriate password. Then:

service dm stop

will stop the X system that has stopped responding. You can then start it again, replacing stop with start. Remember to use CTRL-ALT-F1 to switch back and logout of the user you just used to login at the console with, as when you start the display manager again, it automatically switches to the gui.