Weird problem burning large files under k3b

ffrr

sorry i was under the impression you thought "unticking on the fly" was the same as creating an image.

File /mnt/data/video_keeping/1015_20061017193000.mpg

Sorry I assumed this was an MPG file, you can call your zip files anything you want but I just assumed this was a video file?

Not being rude, but you suggested I try something that I had already tried.
Once again I just saw you had unticked the on the fly box... I didn't realise you had chosen create image only. I can't see where you said you actually created an image in a specific location.

You might want to read up on the tmpfs filesystem

http://kb.vmware.com/KanisaPlatform/Publis...SAL_Public.html

That's not specific to K3B but the default place for images wirtten with on the fly unticked is /tmp

Hence ticking OFF on the fly is NOT the same as creating a file in /home

Well, I am sorry, but you are wrong. One of the tabs in the burning configuration of k3b specifies where the image file is written, and when you untick 'on the fly' and ask it to burn, you can watch the image file get built first. Mine is in /mnt/data/k3b_image.img - and this is an ext3 file system on a real hard disk. There is another tick that tells it whether to remove the image when finished as well.

So it IS the same thing.

Incidentally I just made a 4.5GB file using k3b

ls -l k3*

-rw-r--r-- 1 sl sl 4875624448 2006-10-19 07:07 k3b_image.iso

exactly as I described.....

here is the tail of the log.....

99.95% done, estimate finish Thu Oct 19 07:07:04 2006

99.97% done, estimate finish Thu Oct 19 07:07:04 2006

99.99% done, estimate finish Thu Oct 19 07:07:05 2006

Total translation table size: 0

Total rockridge attributes bytes: 102314

Total directory bytes: 184320

Path table size(bytes): 360

Max brk space used c6000

2380676 extents written (4649 MB)

mkisofs command:

-----------------------

/usr/bin/mkisofs -gui -graft-points -volid K3b data project -volset -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR © 1998-2005 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND THE K3B TEAM -publisher -preparer -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /home/sl/.kde/tmp-Kanotix32/k3bInWwCb.tmp -rational-rock -hide-list /home/sl/.kde/tmp-Kanotix32/k3bG4JBfa.tmp -joliet -hide-joliet-list /home/sl/.kde/tmp-Kanotix32/k3bvL86dc.tmp -udf -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 2 -path-list /home/sl/.kde/tmp-Kanotix32/k3bdjHT7a.tmp

If you think Im making it up just try it!

Once again ONLY CREATE IMAGE is NOT THE SAME as ticking OFF on the fly when it is using a tmpfs filesystem.

I think ffrr has it right. Gowator, if you know of a way where you can take a file greater thn 4 GB and burn it to a data dvd, I'd really like to know how to do that. I just don't think it is possible with the mkisofs that I'm using(mkisofs-2.01.01-0.a03.3mdk). Of course I can create isos greater than 4 GB which is what you did but I cannot create an iso that contains any single file over 4 GB without getting an error message. And we don't appear to be alone with this problem as evidenced by the link I gave in my prior post.

AFAIK you have to use pure UDF to put files larger than 4 GB in a DVD-R, using ISO9660 with rockridge/joliet extensions won't cut the cake.

Oh, are you saying that I should untick rockridge/joliet, and just leave UDF ticked, then it will work?

I will try that when I get home tonight.

Edited by ffrr