is this a silly question to ask?

bonebags

Hi bonebags,

you can do an update to your edition. I don't know what this is doing to the Sims (if running linux native, everything will probably be okay). You can download a free edition of Mandriva (.ISOs) and go through the update process by booting the first one.

HTH,

scoonma

Mandrake gaming edition was just a packaged version of Mandrake running WineX (now called Cedega).

WineX spoofs a Windows environment to run Windows applications, especially games.

So, in answer to your questions: No, it is not officially supported anymore. Yes, you can, however, update it to the last supported candidate. And yes, you can play the Sims on any Linux distro - if you have Cedega installed.

Mandrake gaming edition was just a packaged version of Mandrake running WineX (now called Cedega).

WineX spoofs a Windows environment to run Windows applications, especially games.

So, in answer to your questions: No, it is not officially supported anymore. Yes, you can, however, update it to the last supported candidate. And yes, you can play the Sims on any Linux distro - if you have Cedega installed.

I'm pretty certain you can only run the wine-able version as this was a major problem with my GF for a long time :mellow:

So non of the add-ins work and you can't upgrade the sims version which is pretty much locked to that specific one. Last time I checked cedega had absolutely no plans to extend this ....

The real problem is actually the cheat protection in the sims... basically the program checks for what it thinks is a debugger running and assumes wine is one and your trying to cheat...so far as I know the only difference of the "linux" (read wine) version is that this part is disabled.

I would be really careful about upgrading Wine/Cedega because it might only work with this one version?

The Cedega forums are probably the best place to check but last time I checked there were hundreds of upset users who felt abandoned by Cedega.... (perhaps unfairly since this is not entirely in their control)

edits:

Incidentally The Sims is also about the only windows app refuses to run in VMWARE too? Same prob it thinks its being hacked?

Edited by Gowator