Newbie has Installed Mandriva 2007 but many probs

Guest Les Hathaway

Guest Les Hathaway

As a complete newcomer to the world of Linux, I would appreciate some assistance. I have downloaded and installed a 32 bit version of Linux Mandriva 2007. My PC is AMD Athlon 3800 twin core and I access the internet via 8Mb ADSL through a router.

The main problems I have encountered are as follows :-

1) I have no sound

2) I can send e-mail but cannot receive any

3) I cannot download any updates

4) I cannot access any repository

I can access the web and my ethernet connection is live and functioning.

I have registered my copy of Mandriva but am getting nowhere fast!!!

Before I decide to drop Linux and return to supporting Bill Gates can anyone help?

TIA

Les

With regards to 3&4, i'm gueesing you are having problems with the update applet wich depends on Mandriva online, afaik mandriva online is broken. Have you tried to update through the Mandriva Control Centre, the first time you se it it should set up your update repos and update......hopefully.

Not sure where to start with your email problem, which client are you using?

As for sound, could you tell us which Desktop Environment you are using, and also could you try this in a terminal window:

cat /dev/urandom >> /dev/dsp

You should get some static noise from this.

If that doesn't work, please try the following and share the output with us here:

lspci -v | grep -i audio

and

lsmod

I can send e-mail but cannot receive any

pop settings correct? firewall settings?

re sound, in addition to previous post

launch kmix or aumix from command line terminal,

check sound is not mutted

re sound you can do in a terminal

su (become root)

alsaconf

it often works

As a complete newcomer to the world of Linux,

consider also reading rute linux guide, newbie admin guide, mandriva help documentation pdf and html, even version 10 is good background.

It is a steep learning curve, but well worth it

Welcome aboard.

As you are new to Linux, first some general words: If you have questions and don't understand things that people say here, please let us know so that we can help you.

You will not learn everything at once but slowly and steadily understand how things work. We are here for helping everyone as best as we can. So don't be afraid of terminal commands, we (all the volunteers in this forum) will guide you slowly throught the migration process until you feel comfy with Mandriva.

Now to your problems:

1) I have no sound

As alsready said, open a terminal (the black monitor icon) and try to configure it with alsaconf as root. When you log in as root (su) in a terminal, the password you type will be masked=invisible while you type it.

Also check if all channels are unmuted in the mixer and that you use ALSA as sound output and not e.g. OSS (ALSA is the most common "format").

If it still doesn't work, type in the terminal

lspci

which will list all PCI devices that your system has and that are detected by Mandriva. If the card ain't supported, it will tell you about an unknown device. In that case give us all information you can get on the soundcard. Maybe we can get it running.

2) I can send e-mail but cannot receive any

3) I cannot download any updates

4) I cannot access any repository

Make sure that you have DNS servers set up. In order to check this, go with the filemanager to the /etc directory ( / -> /etc) and take a look at what is written in the resolv.conf file that is in that directory. If it is something like 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1, then it uses the router address. This should be changed to the DNS of your internet service provider or some free DNS server (a google search will help).

In order to fix that problem, log in as root once again in a terminal. Then type

kwrite /etc/resolv.conf

(or use gedit /etc/resolv.conf if you use Gnome instead of KDE)

This will let the editor open the resolv.conf file. Adjust the DNS servers, save the file and check if your connections are still quirky. If yes, disable IPV6 also. (Howto is here: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...iew=getnewpost)

With your email: Check first if the pop/smtp settings are correct. If they are okay, try again with a disabled firewall.

About updates one final word. Currently, the software mirrors on the net seem to undergo an overhaul and are partially broken. I would check them again in a few days, maybe everything works then. If you want to add software mirrors, use the easyurpmi-tool (link at top of this page).

I guess that is enough information for now. :)

Guest Les Hathaway

I have completely reloaded Mandriva 2007 and have now resolved the issues discussed.

Thank you all for your help. It is nice to know that assistance is only a keyboard away!

Les