office mail solutions

johnnyv

Hi i have been using postfix for more than a year now and it is a great mail server.

My problem is with mail storage, i collect mail of my isp's servers via pop3 it gets put into the various users files in var/spool/mail from here the clients retrieve it via mozilla using pop3

I am finding pop3 to be rather inelegant.

I don't want users to download onto there clients as some of them have more than a gig of mail and i would rather have all the mail in one place so backups are easier. Also using mozilla the mail files are plain text and some people have individual indox files greater than 300 mb which seems to sometimes kill the windows clients.

Just looking at switch to imap and am wondering if any of you have experience and think its worth it?.

Also any ideas on the best way to store the email?. There is probably 10gig or so existing and maybe 2-3 gig extra every year.

are you using Mandrake?

the imap package is on the cd's .. but you probably already have it installed right? and you're using pop3 thru xinetd?

theYinYeti (I think it was him) seems to think the imap package is bad, although I've used it for 3years and haven't had any problems.

mail.davinci.co.nz uses mandrake imap package (thats my last employer)

pop3.loudas.com uses mandrake imap package ..

and they both run fine !!

I don't allow imap access to the outside world. because that causes problems with traffic ($$$) ... but this won't bother you right ?? cause your using fetchmail etc etc ?

storing 10gig of mail ?????? man bzip2 would be my first step :P

are you using Mandrake?

the imap package is on the cd's .. but you probably already have it installed right? and you're using pop3 thru xinetd?

theYinYeti (I think it was him) seems to think the imap package is bad, although I've used it for 3years and haven't had any problems.

mail.davinci.co.nz uses mandrake imap package (thats my last employer)

pop3.loudas.com uses mandrake imap package ..

and they both run fine !!

I don't allow imap access to the outside world. because that causes problems with traffic ($$$) ... but this won't bother you right ?? cause your using fetchmail etc etc ?

storing 10gig of mail ?????? man bzip2 would be my first step :P

yes bzip2 would compress it to a fraction of the size but it needs to be availible to the clients, all mail, thousands of messages for some, and easily availible which would count out bzip2 i think.

I don't mind if mail retrieval is not blazingly fast just aslong as it doesn't choke the clients or server to death trying to retrieve mail.

also wether the mail gets stored as single mail text files or huge txt files of multiple mails?

Me too. It's just that I've read posts by other people, who advise to use Cyrus-IMAP or Courier-IMAP instead.

Myself, I use POP3 and IMAP, both from the imap package (on mdk8.1)

Yves.

from what i have been reading maildir format seems to have many advantages over mbox(what im using) so Postfix & courier-imap looks like a good combo with an ldap company address book.

An LDAP address-book is really a neat thing 8) I and my wife use it everyday, and it rocks.

As for mail format, you'll find out on Internet that mbox is better that maildir, and also that maildir is better than mbox :shock:

The fact is that it depends on your objectives.

- mbox is "standard" and can be used directly if needed from a mail client. mbox generates less file Input/Output.

- maildir is more sure (if a mail file gets corrupted, other mailfiles aren't broken). maildir does not force the server to lock the whole repository to read/write a single mail.

Your choice.

• 1 month later...